THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need to search for this frozen cilantro locally....seems I am always tossing half a bunch after it gets slimy :wink:

I saw a squeeze tube at HEB last weekend, but it was like $4 for a 4 oz tube. Now, I know you probably don't need much per cook, but just seemed pricey.

I saw a squeeze tube at HEB last weekend, but it was like $4 for a 4 oz tube. Now, I know you probably don't need much per cook, but just seemed pricey.
Yeah, that's not what I would want. I like the leaves, so the frozen leaves like Jed posted look to fit the bill of what I like with the convenience of it keeping longer so I could just keep it on hand at all times.

I need to search for this frozen cilantro locally....seems I am always tossing half a bunch after it gets slimy :wink:

I should look for it, too. It looks convenient.

You can freeze your own if you want to. Just use an ice cube tray (remember those?) and fill the compartments with cilantro (or any herb) and then fill with water and freeze. Once frozen you can move the herb cubes to a zipper bag for storage.

I should look for it, too. It looks convenient.

You can freeze your own if you want to. Just use an ice cube tray (remember those?) and fill the compartments with cilantro (or any herb) and then fill with water and freeze. Once frozen you can move the herb cubes to a zipper bag for storage.

Great tip, Ron! I hear this works quite well with fresh basil.

Requesting yet another clarification: I have a recipe requiring fresh parsley. I have no idea if fresh cilantro is available around here. Would it be dilly bar time if I used fresh parsley without putting out an APB for fresh cilantro first?

The description reads:

Fresh Cilantro(Fresh parsley may be substituted if fresh cilantro is not available)

Thanks Mods.
Defiantly use less cilantro.

Jed,

Moose and I have discussed this and so long as the cilantro/coriander was never dried, but just fresh cilantro/coriander leaves that have been frozen to preserve the herb, we accept it.

Good decision.
I wondered why Toast was claiming not to be able to find cilantro in Luzzianna at this time of year.

Speaking of which, anyone ever use fresh frozen Bulls Sperm as an ingredient before?:fear:

Last edited:
Good decision.
I wondered why Toast was claiming not to be able to find cilantro in Luzzianna at this time of year.

Well I never claimed that, just did not want to go on a pilgrimage looking for it. I was looking for it under the wrong name here in the swamp anyway. Like Jed, we have a different name for it. Polk Salad. It's way fresh here!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxeQ2bb1NtQ"]Poke Salad Time Again :) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Well I never claimed that, just did not want to go on a pilgrimage looking for it. I was looking for it under the wrong name here in the swamp anyway. Like Jed, we have a different name for it. Polk Salad. It's way fresh here!

Poke Salad Time Again :) - YouTube

I'd be very surprised if your local Albertsons grocery didn't have it ALL the time, or similar mega mart. Just look over by the fresh parsley.

I have seen it labeled as Cilantro, Coriander or Chinese Parsley depending on the store. Hope that helps!

The tubes do suck. I just chop and freeze all kinds of herbs after I get them fresh, they don't all hold up well but parsley and cilantro hold up very well. I've read about the ice cube tray trick but have never bothered. Just into a ziplock works fine.

BTW you guys are really getting out of hand with all these rule clarifications, could you just cook something already? I mean, would it be the worst thing if I weren't the only one to get DQ's in a Masters TD? Come on! Just think, we could start a Masters Throwdown DQ thread and everything! :tsk:

The tubes do suck. I just chop and freeze all kinds of herbs after I get them fresh, they don't all hold up well but parsley and cilantro hold up very well. I've read about the ice cube tray trick but have never bothered. Just into a ziplock works fine.
:attention:
BTW you guys are really getting out of hand with all these rule clarifications, could you just cook something already? I mean, would it be the worst thing if I weren't the only one to get DQ's in a Masters TD? Come on! Just think, we could start a Masters Throwdown DQ thread and everything! :tsk:

Oh shuup Jason!
:laugh:
Toast is getting advice on how to grill a pork chop and fretting over being cilantro free, Mongo is frustrated as heal coz every shop he goes into asking for parsley, he gets offered an ounce bag of prime heads, and I'm not cooking until I can save enough to buy my protein! :drama:
Plus, I need clarification on if canned Apple sauce is acceptable as fresh preserved.
:lalala:

Last edited:
Oh shuup Jason!
:laugh:
Toast is getting advice on how to grill a pork chop and fretting over being cilantro free, Mongo is frustrated as heal coz every shop he goes into asking for parsley, he gets offered an ounce bag of prime heads, and I'm not cooking until I can save enough to buy my protein! :drama:
Plus, I need clarification on if canned Apple sauce is acceptable as fresh preserved.
:lalala:
You are always bragging about your knife skills. Man up and use fresh, you Aussie wimp!
icon7.gif

Back