2014 King of the Smoker

I echo what my fellow Brethren and KOS Competitors Rub and Dan said and will add (in my opinion) the King of the Smoker is the "Ultimate" Invitational BBQ Competition. Level playing field...no powered anything...same meats...same set ups...no side walls...(well...we had one between us and Rub to keep the breeze at bay during turn ins...he didn't seem to mind...lol!)...no RV's or trailers...amazing! From day one we didn't have to lift a finger...the BPS "Red Coat Crew" took care of our every need. We were wined, dined, and entertained like royalty! :thumb::thumb:
Hoping like hell to earn our way back next year...:becky:

I'm with you, JD! Others can aim for the American Royal Invitational or The Jack. I would be so completely honored to be in the running to be invited to cook KOS. There is no doubt that it's a one-of-a-kind contest.

It was an event that is second to none!

This is our third year as a team and to be invited to participate has been a the highlight of the year.

This year was a banner year for us. We qualified for the Sam's Nationals, and American Royal Invitational, The Jack Daniels, and was invited to be one of the 24 in The First Annual Colorado Rockies Invitational.

To be recognized by BPS and invited to The King of The Smoker, which is the "Crown Jewel" of competitions has been a achievement that a team like ours can only expect to happen once in a career!

But as glamorous as this contest is, its only the backdrop for a more important event.

The King of The Smoker is only the culmination of the annual fundraising efforts for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation.

Here is some Information on the Charity,

The Casey Lee Ball Foundation is a nonprofit organization where 100% of every dollar donated goes directly to pediatric kidney research. There are over 50 terminal diseases, yet kidney research has no famous spokesperson, no glamour, and as a result, it is dramatically under-funded...

Sterling "Big Poppa" Ball started this foundation after he gave his son (Casey) one of his own kidney's around 22 years ago. This spawned the awareness and desire to help kids who couldn't afford treatment and research for treatments and cures of Pediatric Kidney Diseases.

I think its an honor for the BBQ Community to have the opportunity to share the stage with this effort.

An effort that as of last weekend, has raised $8million dollars for the research and treatment to help these kids.

I have a heartfelt appreciation for Sterling who single handedly spearheaded this effort with his Heart, Soul, and Resources.

The King of the Smoker is so much, much more than a BBQ Contest that rewards a cross section of noteworthy teams. It serves as a backdrop to raise awareness to many thousands of outdoor enthusiasts to know that there are many not so "Popular" Diseases that need the attention and research dollars to one day your or my kid or grandkid has the help if such a situation occur.

I want to say this with the utmost respect;

I see Sterling as a man wearing many hats:

A modern day "Captain of Industry" with what he has achieved with a what started as a little family music store,

A "World Class Musician" you should see and hear him play!,

A National Championship BBQ Cook.

A genius in the field of Product Marketing,
(Even if he gets under my skin with his tactics sometimes :p)

A Great Family Man, which was very self evident by example and meeting/visiting with his family at the KOS

A Philanthropist, which is evident thru the support of the Foundation.

But what impresses me the most is this;

Once you break thru His "Big Poppa" Persona, he is most importantly a Humanitarian.

A Man with a Big Heart and a Passion for doing great things for good people.

Thank You Sterling for inviting Chris and myself to participate. and Thank You for what you do for the many thousands of kids whom will never meet you and thank you for themselves.

WOW!!:clap::clap:

It was an event that is second to none!

This is our third year as a team and to be invited to participate has been a the highlight of the year.

This year was a banner year for us. We qualified for the Sam's Nationals, and American Royal Invitational, The Jack Daniels, and was invited to be one of the 24 in The First Annual Colorado Rockies Invitational.

To be recognized by BPS and invited to The King of The Smoker, which is the "Crown Jewel" of competitions has been a achievement that a team like ours can only expect to happen once in a career!

But as glamorous as this contest is, its only the backdrop for a more important event.

The King of The Smoker is only the culmination of the annual fundraising efforts for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation.

Here is some Information on the Charity,

The Casey Lee Ball Foundation is a nonprofit organization where 100% of every dollar donated goes directly to pediatric kidney research. There are over 50 terminal diseases, yet kidney research has no famous spokesperson, no glamour, and as a result, it is dramatically under-funded...

Sterling "Big Poppa" Ball started this foundation after he gave his son (Casey) one of his own kidney's around 22 years ago. This spawned the awareness and desire to help kids who couldn't afford treatment and research for treatments and cures of Pediatric Kidney Diseases.

I think its an honor for the BBQ Community to have the opportunity to share the stage with this effort.

An effort that as of last weekend, has raised $8million dollars for the research and treatment to help these kids.

I have a heartfelt appreciation for Sterling who single handedly spearheaded this effort with his Heart, Soul, and Resources.

The King of the Smoker is so much, much more than a BBQ Contest that rewards a cross section of noteworthy teams. It serves as a backdrop to raise awareness to many thousands of outdoor enthusiasts to know that there are many not so "Popular" Diseases that need the attention and research dollars to one day your or my kid or grandkid has the help if such a situation occur.

I want to say this with the utmost respect;

I see Sterling as a man wearing many hats:

A modern day "Captain of Industry" with what he has achieved with a what started as a little family music store,

A "World Class Musician" you should see and hear him play!,

A National Championship BBQ Cook.

A genius in the field of Product Marketing,
(Even if he gets under my skin with his tactics sometimes :p)

A Great Family Man, which was very self evident by example and meeting/visiting with his family at the KOS

A Philanthropist, which is evident thru the support of the Foundation.

But what impresses me the most is this;

Once you break thru His "Big Poppa" Persona, he is most importantly a Humanitarian.

A Man with a Big Heart and a Passion for doing great things for good people.

Thank You Sterling for inviting Chris and myself to participate. and Thank You for what you do for the many thousands of kids whom will never meet you and thank you for themselves.

Back