2007 Contests: A Retrospective

Every contest that we have cooked this year has been a good time.. There are one or two that probably will not be done again but being able to see all our friends...PRICELESS...Go cook a contest..Yeah there are contest out there that dont give you what you want, but hell you dont always get a hole in one...So its a hobby..Lets say you are shooting for a hole in one and you dont always get it...Is that your fault or someone else? We look at it this way these are people we would never see if it wasnt for bbq..Come on guys one or two bad contest..Whats to say that they will not make it better next year...Look at it as not what you receive as prize money but what you get out of the FRIENDSHIPS...Sorry if we made anyone mad with this one post but its about who you meet and what kind of friends you can make...NOT the money. We think if it was for the money most of us would not be cooking

Good points. We don't choose our contests based on how we did the year before. Seldom is past performance predict your future performance. More than once, we've done a 180 from one year to the next at the same contest. Our favorite contests this year weren't the one's we did the best at. I think Randy would agree that our favorite contests this year were Warrensburg, MO and BarBQlossal in Des Moines. We didn't get any big calls at either of these contests, but they were damn fun because of the people.

We aren't good enough or consistent enough to chase money or KCBS points. That's why contests like LPQue and Great Bend won't be high on our list.

If a contest has more than three dozen teams, I'd like to see them pass out some hardware. I'd much rather get a ribbon than cash. I understand that small contests can't always do this.

Excellent Post!

Every contest that we have cooked this year has been a good time.. There are one or two that probably will not be done again but being able to see all our friends...PRICELESS...Go cook a contest..Yeah there are contest out there that dont give you what you want, but hell you dont always get a hole in one...So its a hobby..Lets say you are shooting for a hole in one and you dont always get it...Is that your fault or someone else? We look at it this way these are people we would never see if it wasnt for bbq..Come on guys one or two bad contest..Whats to say that they will not make it better next year...Look at it as not what you receive as prize money but what you get out of the FRIENDSHIPS...Sorry if we made anyone mad with this one post but its about who you meet and what kind of friends you can make...NOT the money. We think if it was for the money most of us would not be cooking

...out of the mouths of the WINNERS!!
That is exactly the way we feel.

BBQ is not what you win, but whether or not you had fun. That's how we learned it.

Good points. We don't choose our contests based on how we did the year before. Seldom is past performance predict your future performance. More than once, we've done a 180 from one year to the next at the same contest. Our favorite contests this year weren't the one's we did the best at. I think Randy would agree that our favorite contests this year were Warrensburg, MO and BarBQlossal in Des Moines. We didn't get any big calls at either of these contests, but they were damn fun because of the people.

We aren't good enough or consistent enough to chase money or KCBS points. That's why contests like LPQue and Great Bend won't be high on our list.

If a contest has more than three dozen teams, I'd like to see them pass out some hardware. I'd much rather get a ribbon than cash. I understand that small contests can't always do this.

There is money involved in this????:rolleyes: We don't do it for the money at all, we have gotten hooked on the shear competition aspect of the sport but most importantly the people. We have made a lot of great friends and look forward to meeting more.

We look back on our year and decide based on factors such as distance, how well the contest was run, how much fun we had ect.

I have to agree with Todd, more about the hardware than the cash. Big or small contests should be able to at least give out ribbons through 10th.

Just my .02.

I agree with the ribbons to 10th place as I think everyone does. I know KCBS does regulate that, the contest organizer does, but they should be able to suggest it.

BBQ is not what you win, but whether or not you had fun. That's how we learned it.

So true so true and for those of you who know me, know that we have a good time!

but lets be completly honest, it feels better to win something. Now we haven't won anything, but have placed well and even came back with a couple of ribbons once. It sure feels better when you do well and if it didn't your hobby would probably not involve competitions.

What I like about the BBQ comps is that even the serious competitors are so cool and gracious about what they do and welcome new people with open arms.

As Michelle and I discussed late night around the fire at Clarence, being fairly new still, I have met lots and lots of people over the past 18 months or so. In all of the BBQ events I have been to (comps, classes, judging, etc., etc.)I have met maybe 2 people along the way that I would say was not all that friendly. Not that they were ash holes or anything, just that they were not nearly as open and welcoming as the throngs of new friends that I have met.

We have yet to not achieve our goal of having fun at a contest and really dig having fun with our new friends, but it does feel very very good when your newfound buddies congratulate you on placing.....I can only imagine what what winning a category means much less a GC or RGC.......

3 hour drive to cook against 50 teams and get a yellow, 1/2 sheet of paper and no cash for getting a top 10 call. Awards were a train wreck. The RV hookups were nice, but it was really spread out. Didn't see half the teams until awards.

If it was a local contest, then I'd probably feel differently.

Welcome to my world. A three hour drive IS a local contest! :lol:

O sure, I think we all agree with that. But since many of us can only do a few contests it makes sense to support those contests that go to the extra effort to make things cooks friendly.

The $? Its important because it just helps fund cooking more contests.

Great thread.........

"We aren't good enough or consistent enough to chase money or KCBS points. That's why contests like LPQue and Great Bend won't be high on our list. ---Plowboy"

Great Bend is a fantastic contest! It has the Chest to Chest and a regular KCBS contest. Kent Romine is one of the best contest coordinators there is....he makes sure everyone is WELL taken care of.....brings everybody corn from his field, tamales and all kinds of stuff on Friday! It's an amazing contest that is backed by the folks of Great Bend. It's also held in conjunction with their County Fair, which he gives all the children on the teams a wristband to ride all of the rides for free.

Granted, the money isn't shabby, by any means, however, the sincere dedication he puts into this contest is remarkable.

if we made anyone mad with this one post but its about who you meet and what kind of friends you can make...NOT the money. We think if it was for the money most of us would not be cooking

We cater for money. We cook contests to drink Crown Royal, have fun and maybe win a trophy or 2. The money is always appreciated as we are sponsorless, but not our motivation. The year we won GC at Springfiedl, our first contest of the year, we expected another. Guess what, we didn't get it. Made myself nuts. Now, it's about better BBQ, drinking and friends. What the h*ll do those judges know anyway! I took the CBJ class and I don't know jack sh*t.

"We aren't good enough or consistent enough to chase money or KCBS points. That's why contests like LPQue and Great Bend won't be high on our list. ---Plowboy"

Great Bend is a fantastic contest! It has the Chest to Chest and a regular KCBS contest. Kent Romine is one of the best contest coordinators there is....he makes sure everyone is WELL taken care of.....brings everybody corn from his field, tamales and all kinds of stuff on Friday! It's an amazing contest that is backed by the folks of Great Bend. It's also held in conjunction with their County Fair, which he gives all the children on the teams a wristband to ride all of the rides for free.

Granted, the money isn't shabby, by any means, however, the sincere dedication he puts into this contest is remarkable.

Sure, sure. I'm not bagging on the contests at all. But let's face it, for many, the draw is the cash. If we would do either event, it would be for the reasons you stated: cooker friendly. Cash is appreciated, but isn't a primary reason we would do a contest.

Everyone could probably agree, most of us have f/t jobs,right? The full time jobs pay the "rent", right. So all we have are hobbies and "fun activities" right? Now combine being able to EAT,DRINK and be MERRY all in one,call it a HOBBIE and meet FANTASTIC (and addicted) people.... wouldnt that = BBQ?
Just a thought, to all I met in my 1st (of hopefully many) year, I drink this one for you!!

Smokin' Gnome Sal (no I am not related to Santa!!!)

Swamprb and I partnered up toward the end of the season and only have 2 comps between us. He did the Evergreen State Championship...and I did the Breast Cancer Charity Rib Comp. Next year we'll hit a few more on the local circuit and hopefully earn our way up the national ladder in a few years.:p

Back