2 Shirleys, 16 turkeys, 600 kids

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
So my wife teaches elementary school in a not so great area. A lot of the kids don't get a real thanksgiving dinner, so some of the teachers organize a potluck type dinner for all the kids and staff on the last day of school before vacation. Last year I cooked 6 turkeys in my Shirley for her and asked how they did the rest. My wife said that a bunch of volunteers take them home, cook them the night before, and bring back cold turkey the next days for the kids. Since its a poor area, they also do not usually get all their turkeys back. Anyways, once I heard these kids were getting day old oven turkeys, I knew something had to be done. I got ahold of Oifmarine and ChicagoKP and we made plans to stuff our shirleys and feed these kids some real turkey.

First lunch service was 10:45. We weren't sure how long the turkeys would take since we were loading them up so much, so we arrived nice and early, at 4:30.

As a side note, they gave us Jennie-O and butterballs to cook. After seeing a lot of both, I will tell you that butterball sells a much better product overall. Consistency, appearance, and flavor were noticeably better.

While the smokers warmed up, we prepped 16 turkeys, about 20lbs each. Did everything by flashlight in the school parking lot.

Turkeys went on at 5:15 and 5:30. We spatchcocked a few to make sure we'd have some for the first service.

Sun finally came up. Weather was pretty warm (60) but it was very windy.

Mrs Shagdog and KP waiting for turkeys to cook

Turkeys at about 7am in Oifmarine's cooker

Made some naked fatty and biscuit sammys for breakfast.

Turkeys in KPs around 9am.

First turkeys finished in under 4 hours at about 325

All hands on deck to carve up the birds. Mrs Shagdog and Mrs KP helped a ton.

More turkey pron

Just thought this was funny.

One of the pans of goodness.

I have some great pics of the kids, but my wife asked I not post them. The kids were really excited, but not as much as the staff was. Turkeys came out great, everyone was thrilled. HUGE thanks to KP, Mrs KP, and OIFMarine for taking a day off to cook and brighten those kids' day. You guys rule!

Last edited:
Very cool y'all! :clap2: Hats off for doing that!

Did you notice any difference between the ones you spatched and the ones you cooked whole?

And - doing cooks like this, it becomes apparent very quickly that cooking is one thing and slicing is entirely another! :shocked:

Wow, Matt, those birds looks great! What a kind service you all provided - I'm sure everyone was happy.

Truly awesome, Matt. Very admirable of you, Ms. Shagdog, Oifmarine and ChicagoKP volunteering to insure those underprivileged kids have a proper Thanksgiving. :clap:

Very cool y'all! :clap2: Hats off for doing that!

Did you notice any difference between the ones you spatched and the ones you cooked whole?

And - doing cooks like this, it becomes apparent very quickly that cooking is one thing and slicing is entirely another! :shocked:

Thanks Greg!

As to spatched vs not, I didn't see much difference in end result or even in cook time, really. We spatched some of the uglier Jennie-o's, and the non cut butterballs were a better bird, so it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison.. The only thing we really noticed were the spatched birds were harder to carve.

And carving thing wasn't as bad as I expected. We had a pretty good system down, and since the birds were coming off 2-4 at a time, we never felt under the gun to hurry and finish. OIFMarine and I were carving breasts etc off the birds, KP was cutting up the big meat chunks, and the ladies were pulling the wings and legs. We were demolishing a bird in under 5 minutes easy. I woulda hated trying that without the help though!

This thread rocks.... Thank you guys for your giving spirit I know everyone really appreciated what you guys did... Those birds look awesome!!!!!

Paul, your cookers continue to impress me. Man did they cook some gorgeous turkeys! Every single one that came off was ready for a magazine cover.

And man did they turn heads. I'd guess we had a couple dozen people come to take pictures of them.. And some were just walking by on the street!

Back