2 pack of ribs--what to do with 2nd rack?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So I got a 2 pack of spare ribs on sale. I am smoking a rack today, but we have no need to smoke a 2nd rack. They were frozen and have been thawed. Is there anything I can do to use them later? I am certain I can't freeze them again. Could I put them in the fridge for a couple days? Is smoking the 2nd rack my only choice? TIA.

Sometimes I’ll cook a normal traditional rack and use the second rack like this. Once it’s about 80% done wrap tightly in foil and cook the bejeezus out of it until you can slide the bones out like pulling floss through jello. Chop the meat. Anything you can do with hamburger you can do with chopped rib meat. I have a friend that does this guessing almost every cook. Sandwiches, Mexican,

Another thing Ill do is cook normally and slice and freeze. Take out a few and 8 minutes in the instant pot, then grill on one of my mini cookers. 3-4 ribs couple ABTS makes a good meal. I’ve not had much luck thawing cooked frozen in microwave. Some use Sous Vide

As for refreezing frozen from thawed, I don’t do that but bet it’s been done for me from processors to point of sale more than once.

Keep that second rack at 40* and you should be OK for a couple of days, a day or two longer if you vac them. After that there is alot you can do, Smoke Em comes to mind:becky:
But strip the meat off the bone and do a slow oven cook covered with some liquid. Or, cut them into 3 bones and put them in a crock pot with some BBQ sauce.

You can smoke the extra ribs now and freeze for later. I've done it and ribs turned out fine. I even reheat leftover ribs in the microwave. Fatty spare ribs take it a lot better than baby back.

I vac seal and freeze leftover ribs. Thaw/heat them in boiling water, then open the bag and enjoy.
I use the thaw mode of the microwave.

I try not to waste space in the smoker, so I will do four or six racks at at time. Never one and hardly ever two. Biggest problem I have is making sure there is enough freezer space available.

Sometimes I’ll cook a normal traditional rack and use the second rack like this. Once it’s about 80% done wrap tightly in foil and cook the bejeezus out of it until you can slide the bones out like pulling floss through jello. Chop the meat. Anything you can do with hamburger you can do with chopped rib meat. I have a friend that does this guessing almost every cook. Sandwiches, Mexican,

Another thing Ill do is cook normally and slice and freeze. Take out a few and 8 minutes in the instant pot, then grill on one of my mini cookers. 3-4 ribs couple ABTS makes a good meal. I’ve not had much luck thawing cooked frozen in microwave. Some use Sous Vide

As for refreezing frozen from thawed, I don’t do that but bet it’s been done for me from processors to point of sale more than once.

Get some soft steak rolls and make some McRibs.

Back