2 hour babybacks?

well i have to be at the party around 8 and they were going to go in at 6. They finished defrosting and are sitting with some rub on them now... pits heating up. I thing they are gonna be like oven ribs.. FE has a light smoke to begin with, but cooking at 350 with the wings, they wont be in there very long.

see what cookin on a pellet pooper will do to ya:rolleyes:

wont do it again.

wings were great.. pecan and cherry.. started at 350, but once all the meat got in the pit, it never got above 290.

Ribs were done in 2.5 hours.. they were below mediocre. Texture was jsut nasty(compared to what they are supposed to be). Maybe becase they were frozen for 3 months? They stayed home.. no way I would bring them to the party. Just couldnt do it.. dont want to be associated with sub par ribs. I'll try to salvage them tomorrow.. maybe just pull the bones and make sandwiches.

Interesting...

While I wasn't expecting you to say they were picture perfect, I didn't think they would have been unservable, especially with the temps ultimately being sub 300 deg. with all the mass. But I can see your point about not wanting to be remembered by the party attendees as the bbq guy whose ribs weren't so great.

Guess you can always blame the FEC, not the time :wink:

I'll try to salvage them tomorrow.. maybe just pull the bones and make sandwiches.

Hey Pooh, toss them in a crock pot with sourkraut, fried cabbage, carmalized onions, and apples. Add a little caraway seed and some sweet vermouth and you'll have a nice dish to serve with the football games today. BTW, Happy New Year.

Ribs were done in 2.5 hours.. they were below mediocre. Texture was jsut nasty(compared to what they are supposed to be).

Too chewy? I tried 350-degree ribs for the first time this past summer and noticed that they definitely weren't as tender, but I prefer ribs to have a bit of firmness to them anyway so maybe that's why it didn't bother me.

Brad

I agree that frozen meat is never the same as fresh.. I NEVER buy meat to freeze.. but these ribs were leftover from the Sayville contest in october.

First thing, the meat was white somewhat white.. Not pink, not brownish.. but white and a ltlee dry.

I dont mind a little firmness to the ribs. .but this was chewy and tough. had to toss it to the back of the molars and chomp away. Like old bubble gum.

foiled them this morning with some apple juice and cooked them another 2 hours in the oven at 250. Texture came up, nice and tender, but no smoke flavor at all... not worth eating. i think the main problem was they were frozen, whcih probably means frozen twice since Restauratnt depots ribs are usually frozen once already. They will become pooch food..

I agree that frozen meat is never the same as fresh.. I NEVER buy meat to freeze.. but these ribs were leftover from the Sayville contest in october.

I agree Poobah, I had some meats (ribs and butts) that were right at the sell by date so I froze them. When I defrosted them and smoked them with care they came out just awful. So lesson learned, I won't make the mistake again. :rolleyes:

Phil would cooking those ribs on an offset at that temp made a huge difference in your opinion?

dont think so.. The meat was white after they were cooked.

I think the ribs were refrozen.

Dont think anythign could have fixed them.

Back