2 butts & 2 briskets on the Ultimate PI DAY

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
So my son (who is a Freshman in HS) bought this shirt last week......

photo.jpg

If he's a dork, he gets it honestly as I lay claim to "dorkness" as well.

He also assisted me in prepping and processing these 2 pork butts and 2 briskets as well. He even took some of the photos as I was pulling and slicing.

Butts were injected with Chris Lilly's Pork Injection and rubbed with Big Wampus's Sweet & Spicy rub.

Briskets were not injected and were rubbed with SPOG: Coarse grind black pepper, kosher salt, granulated onion and granulated garlic.

All were put on the gravity feed at just before midnight on Friday night, cooked at 250 until 6:00, when the smoker was dropped down to 230. All meats were wrapped in butcher paper at about 9:00 am. The butts came off at about 11:00 and the briskets came off at about noon.

Butts were perfectly done. The briskets were perfectly tender, but the end of one of the flats crumbled a little during slicing (we only took photos of that one).

The photos tell the story......

P3130068_zpsdlz0u1eb.jpg

P3130069_zpsc9liwya0.jpg

P3130070_zps6hc6jj5o.jpg

P3130071_zpsfo5ninsh.jpg

P3130072_zpsfdlpwljn.jpg

P3140073_zps8e6rymaf.jpg

P3140074_zps59mxxu6v.jpg

P3140075_zpsiqhipoo5.jpg

P3140076_zpsaukmiyxt.jpg

P3140078_zpsmaybwoh9.jpg

P3140080_zpsiq32iqru.jpg

P3140084_zpsogom3gpu.jpg

Thanks for lookin'!

My daughter daughter loved the shirt. She is about to graduate from one of the New Tech high schools. The kids in her school love this kind of stuff! They do some of the coolest projects.

I look forward to the day I get to eat your cooking because of posts like these - very nice, Wamp! I don't know where or when, but it's gonna happen!

Good, good stuff right there!

So tell me, the "Big Wampus's Sweet & Spicy Rub", is that your commercial product or is it a personal recipe?

KC

What smoker is that ?

THAT is a custom made gravity feed smoker. I bought it from a fellow competitor last summer. I love that thing. I don't know that I'd ever have anything but a gravity feed. I wasn't really sure, but I love the product it puts out.

Good, good stuff right there!

So tell me, the "Big Wampus's Sweet & Spicy Rub", is that your commercial product or is it a personal recipe?

KC

It's a personal recipe. I haven't looked into trying to package it.
I started with a recipe that I found in the BBQ Brethren recipe book and tweaked it here and there until I settled on the (IMHO) perfect mix. I have used it on pork butts for years now. Great stuff.
I mix it up about 5 lbs or so at a time. It's got a nice bit of heat to it. I have a version I make for chicken and pork ribs that I tone down the cayenne for. It's pretty spicy for chicken and ribs, but by the time I pull the pork and even after I reseason a little after pulling, there's not much heat to it.

I'll see if I can find a recipe. I think I posted it here before.....

Here's my S&S rub recipe.

Big Wampus's Sweet & Spicy Rub
1/2C Light brown sugar
2 TBS Hickory flavored Bacon Salt
1 TBS Celery salt
2 TBS Accent
2 TBS Granulated Onion
2 TBS Granulated Garlic
1 TBS Chili Powder
1 TBS Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Cajun Seasoning
1 TBS Ground Cayenne Pepper
1/2 TBS Kosher Salt
----makes enough for about 2 butts

I posted it HERE as my All Purpose Rub, but since then I've started calling it my Sweet & Spicy Rub since it does have so much heat in it. As I said, what I'm calling my "AP" rub is the same stuff, but without the cayenne. The Cajun Seasoning has enough kick to it that gives it just a little heat without it being too much for chicken or ribs. I've also changed out the coarse ground black pepper for the "regular" grind. The coarse ground stuff wasn't consolidating like the rest of it.

It would probably hard to have it commercially packaged since it's got the Bacon Salt and the Cajun Seasoning in it. Maybe not, but most packing companies (I would assume) would rather not have to buy some packaged product to include into another rub.

I think the Bacon Salt is a key ingredient in mine though. I wouldn't want to do without it. I started using the Hickory flavored stuff exclusively, but it's hard to find in the larger shakers. Lately, I started buying larger shakers of the original, two at a time through Amazon.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back