1st UDS Build - Learner Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraaiBoy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi to everyone, I’m new to this forum (my very first anywhere in fact) but have been been quietly browsing over the past few weeks and already picked up a wealth of information but for sure, looks like there’s still an awful lot more to learn.

I'm a South African (living in Ireland) so very familiar with open coal grilling as it's very much part of our culture too, although back home we call it a "BRAAI" [as in "BRIAN" just without the N] instead of a BBQ, hence my handle for this forum. We typically use open grills and sometimes also little 3-legged cast iron pots sat in or hung over hot coals.

Anyhow, I get over to the US a bit, have a number of friends south of Mason-Dixon and just love the whole US barbecue thing, and become intrigued by the whole slow smoker deal. So now hell bent on putting a nice UDS together pronto to start introducing the folks here in Ireland to a new barbecue treat! Already got started with Irish friends on difference between BRAAI and (Irish style) BARBECUE, especially like a braai being more inclusively communal experience with the lads all chatting around the grill but only ONE (usually the host) is in charge of the braai (has the tongs) and NOBODY offers unsolicited advice or EVER pokes at the coals or fiddles with the food, so we let the ladies a chance to chill out and chat until the meat’s ready before coming together to eat, often still standing though . . . braai is never a fancy pantsy must sit-down dinner.

As it happens, this past Fathers day I had great fun rustling up a real farm-style braai (as with BBQ, braai can mean the occasion or the actual grill) from an old 55gal drum cut in half, framed and mounted on steel legs (very basic, not pretty enough for big city folks, kinda SA version of your UDS, maybe call it a UD-Braai) and christened it that evening with friends, and must’a got lucky on the day but that ol’ drum really delivered and so all the gathered sceptics (including my wife) were duly converted!!

Anyway, just blown away by how much so many of you obviously put into this forum and how ready y’all are to share knowledge and experiences with others, especially “freshmen” like myself, so “props” to everyone involved here!! This forum has me all fired up to put a decent UDS together, have some thoughts on design tweaks and started sourcing components but meantime still reading and learning before starting - as they say, measure twice and cut once and there's just so much pooled knowledge and advice here to draw down and learn from that there's no need to go off half cocked and get things wrong! :redface:

So, that’s me duly introduced to this site, what a wonderful resource it is and I’m already looking forward to the day that my new built UDS is fired up for the very 1st cook! (again, wife is deeply sceptical . . . ) - will hopefully not be too long . . . :grin:

Welcome, BraaiBoy! This is a wonderful forum for learning how to slow smoke your favorite meats and everyone is very helpful. I lurk almost daily and learn from questions that have already be asked and I love finding out all of the things I NEVER knew before. Enjoy your UDS. :biggrin1:

Nederlands

Ja, bietjie stadig maar kan Nederlands omtrent verstaan en uitwerk in geselskap alhoewel Vlaams is makliker ondat dit so naby aan Afrikaans taal is wat ek vlot praat, nietemin dat ek van Scotse oorsprong is. Dankie vir die "Welkom", ek sien baie uit na rustige vleis braai ... n' lekker BRAAIVLEIS!! :biggrin1:

For our American hosts, just said I can understand or work out Dutch in conversation although Flemish is easier as it's more like Afrikaans which I can speak although I'm actually of Scottish extraction. (South African cultural and language demographics are far more compex than generally appreciated)

Welkom!

Dus je kan wel een beetje Nederlands verstaan?

Baaie dankie!
Can't wait to see your first "pap en saus met boerewors" come by!:becky:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back