1st time rib smoke...

London BBQer

Hi everyone,

I spent quite a bit of time looking into how to smoke some decent spare ribs (asking the English butcher for a St. Louis style cut drew a blank glance, but after some explaining he knew what I wanted), and the pictures below are my first attempt (finished yesterday evening); so please be nice if it doesn't look quite perfect. I can, however, attest to the fact that they were damn tasty!

I had my sister-in-law bring over a Smokenator from the States for my Weber Gold 22.5" a few weeks ago, and so I then decided the best thing to start with should of course be ribs!

All I did was use the BBQ Pit Boys rub recipe; wait for the meat to get to room temp; then loaded onto the grill and used another Pit Boys mopping and dipping sauce for the mop every hour or two. Maintained dome temp at 220-240F for 7hrs, monitored through the vent with a clip holding a Tel-tru BQ250 4in; and smoked over some hardwood I had lying around - prob oak. Had to add a few more coals here and there; which is prob down to my lack of experience with the vent control, but all in, I think it went quite well. I will be purchasing the Maverick ET-732 shortly, and mounting the Tel-tru in the lid. Hopefully this will ensure more accuracy with the internal temps!

The meat is so juicy, it does not fall off the bone, but with a gentle tug from my teeth it comes clean away. At first I was concerned about them being undercooked due to all the juice, but for the moment I'm putting it down to the serious humidity using the Smokenator.

In future, I might just leave the water pan dry for the last hour and see if that dries them out a bit.They were seriously tasty (like melt in the mouth), but I can't help but think that they may be a little better without all the moisture. Despite the fact that all who tasted them said they were the best they'd ever eaten, has anyone got any thoughts on this smoke, or my technique in general? I would appreciate any comments from the Brethren that could help me get better and better!

I'm getting pretty enthusiastic about BBQing, and my wife has already tried to veto a WSM and BGE purchase; currently working on getting approval for a UDS (at least cost is negligible for the UDS - WSM is pricey here, and as for the BGE: XL is £1300 with the table, meh)!

Attachments

• BBQ-Spare Ribs 02.jpg
    BBQ-Spare Ribs 02.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 211
  • BBQ-Spare Ribs 03.jpg
    BBQ-Spare Ribs 03.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Looks like you hit it, they look great. Thats the fun of BBQ, you get to try a bunch of different techniques and recipes, and eat good food all the way. When I do ribs on my kettle, I don't use any water at all, I build my fire on one side and put the ribs in a rack indirect on the other, over a drip pan. Thats it, add wood and charcoal as needed, a hinged grate works best for this. Good job and keep it up.

Those are gorgeous! I don't think the water is for moisture as much as it's for a heat sink to regulate the temp. I was tempted to get one for my kettle but decided to just bank the coals to one side and smoke indirect. It allows me to place more unlit coals in the kettle but I do sacrifice some grate space. To get temps around 225 I adjust the lower vent to about the width of a pencil tip and leave the top vent wide open over the opposite side of the coals.

That looks great! I am in the US Navy and my last posting was a joint US/UK command here in Virginia Beach. We regularly have the Brits over for Q and they absolutely love it. It was also quite fun to invite them over for Thanksgiving with turkey and all of the trimmings. Cheers!

i would say what ever you did they look wonderful for the first run... don't change a thing. i would say +1 for you my friend.... the water pan really does not do anything with keeping them moist but it acts like a heat diffuser to help keep heat more stable. keeping water in it will not change how moist your ribs get. i would not change a thing....they look great.

With those pic's I would say your well on your way to havin the neighbors lookin over the fence and askin what's for supper! Way nice job!:thumb:

Those ribs look beautiful! Great job!

I think having to add fuel a couple of times in a 7 hour cook in a kettle is normal. I wouldn't worry about that.

I have to say that this is the first time I have heard anyone complain that their ribs were too moist :-D. The look great in the pictures. Was the meat mushy? Is that why you want them dryer?

looks great, you did it right, now you can tweak and adjust your technique until you find out what makes it come out the way you like them..

Very nice! You may want to point out to your wife how gracious and popular a hostess she will be if you get say, at the very least, a WSM. :wink:

Judging by your description of the ribs and how they tasted, and the pictures you
have posted.....you have cooked PERFECT Ribs.
If however you would prefer them with a bit less moisture; you might try raising your
cooking temperature to 250°-260° Fahrenheit, and see how that works for you.

Back