THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rober

Knows what a fatty is.
I bought an original heavy gauge O.K. Joe Longhorn offset this summer. cleaned it up & tucked it away. I'm getting ready to smoke my 1st whole brisket so I decided to do a test run to see how it cooks, how to regulate heat, etc. I brined a pork butt, a rack of ribs, & a whole chicken. i'm burning white & red oak & hickory splits. so far so good. the ribs & chicken are finished & the butt has 3-4 hours to go. this smoker is decent. I do not have a turn down flange at the fire box yet but I did line the bottom with fire brick & installed a smoke shelf. there's a 20* difference from end to end so the smoke shelf is working. a flange at the firebox should get it even more even. I have a gasket set for the doors but i'm going to sand blast it & paint it so I held off on intling them.
I had to go to bass pro yesterday & got a in person look at a horizon offset smoker. i'm really impressed with the fit & finish. if I was still in the market i'd definitely consider buying one, especially since bass pro has them you get a break on the freight.

Back