1st cook on my offset smoker today

rober

Knows what a fatty is.
I bought an original heavy gauge O.K. Joe Longhorn offset this summer. cleaned it up & tucked it away. I'm getting ready to smoke my 1st whole brisket so I decided to do a test run to see how it cooks, how to regulate heat, etc. I brined a pork butt, a rack of ribs, & a whole chicken. i'm burning white & red oak & hickory splits. so far so good. the ribs & chicken are finished & the butt has 3-4 hours to go. this smoker is decent. I do not have a turn down flange at the fire box yet but I did line the bottom with fire brick & installed a smoke shelf. there's a 20* difference from end to end so the smoke shelf is working. a flange at the firebox should get it even more even. I have a gasket set for the doors but i'm going to sand blast it & paint it so I held off on intling them.
I had to go to bass pro yesterday & got a in person look at a horizon offset smoker. i'm really impressed with the fit & finish. if I was still in the market i'd definitely consider buying one, especially since bass pro has them you get a break on the freight.

Back