THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McDaniel's Pit Stop

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I had my first EVER competition this past weekend here in Georgia. McDaniel's Pit Stop Bar-B-Q Team competed in Fort Gaines, GA in the GBA. I have to say, it was a lot of work but definitely a lot of fun. Those who do this every weekend, I have to give a lot of props and respect too. Sleep is one thing that you miss the most! Out of 19 teams competing we placed 6th over all. The 3 categories in the GBA are Loin, Pulled pork/Butt, and Ribs. We placed 12th in Loin (really difficult category, not your typical BBQ competition category) 6th in pulled pork, and made it to the finals in Ribs. There is a prelim and finals in the GBA. We placed 3rd in Ribs. A finals judge told me that the only thing that kept me from taking 1st in ribs, they were spicier than my prelim ribs that almost got me a perfect score. Through the prelims we were WAY a head in score on ribs. But definitely learned a lot and got tons of good feedback. From some high up reps in the GBA told me it was unheard of, and just does not happen to come in on the 1st competition and do as well as I did with the strong teams in the GBA. I will just take what we learned in this event and put it to work in the next. Attaching some pics of the event.

Attachments

That's awesome! I know the guys from Real South, and they've been at this awhile. You did pretty damn good for your first time out.

Thanks! Now all those, woulda, shoulda, moments come into my head on how I would have done better... But hey, guess that is going to happen every time. But I was happy with what I put in the box. So can't argue with that.

Back