1960's Kamado Hibachi Pot

It will build back up real fast.
There is no harm in trying to repair the broken parts, I just don't think its necessary. The way you have it now is fine. Those parts will not go anywhere. They will just get seasoned together as you cook.

This is the kamado I have that is just like yours. Notice the damage on the outside from it being left out in the rain. The insides are gone as well so I have never used it. Ive never understood the lid because all it does is prevent the airflow from coming out the top so I guess you would have to cook wide open.
IMG_0918_zps817be63b.jpg

This is the lid on my large kamado. I adjust it to control the temps. Ebay has lids for sale that will adjust like the one I have.
IMG_0914_zps3b41ee27.jpg

This is the vent on the bottom. Just a hole. This is how I adjust the air intake. Ebay also sells adjustable lower vents.
IMG_0917_zpsd94cda1d.jpg

IMG_0915_zps211597c4.jpg

It seems that Silverfinger and I have the same two Kamados. My large still has the original clay plug for the air inlet and I use a wooden shim to wedge the bottom plug at various angles to adjust air flow. I am going to fabricate a stainless plug for the front to make it a little more convenient. I really do not want to drill holes to install a sliding door. When I get it done I will post about it.

It seems that Silverfinger and I have the same two Kamados. My large still has the original clay plug for the air inlet and I use a wooden shim to wedge the bottom plug at various angles to adjust air flow. I am going to fabricate a stainless plug for the front to make it a little more convenient. I really do not want to drill holes to install a sliding door. When I get it done I will post about it.

I read the plugs were individually made for each kamado. Thats real cool you still have that! I have used that tinfoil cardboard piece to avoid drilling holes as well. Post more photos of your large kamado. I would love to see them!

I also have one like yours, you can download the instruction manual here . Using to many briquettes will crack the cooker

I'm reworking mine (Imperial #5) now, got it pressure washed yesterday. I will be painting mine
My interior is in good shape. Many people JB weld parts back together.
If you don't mind drilling holes, then the stainless steel vent from green egg is the easy way to go. There is also an aftermarket stainless chimney cap that stays on when opening lid.

Back