150 Quail

boberosabbq said:
When I said the wild taste I didn't mean "gamey", its just that quail taste like quail, pheasant tastes like pheasant, don't try and make it into somethings its not. I would rather eat quail or pheasant over chicken any day:-D ! tkuehn what breed of dogs do you hunt over.

I love the tangy taste in the wild quail and went on my first pheasant hunt and saw three roosters but didnt get a shot at them - we went in Plainview, TX and it was last weekend of the season so they would hear our truck driving to the field and would take off.

My brother has a german shorthair and a couple of britneys but the britneys aren't trained well enough to just point so they usually end up flushing. We'll work em a couple hours then give up on them and drive around in our pickup trucks and jump out when we see the quail. I'm thinking about getting a quail dog or a duck and goose dog. The fiancee isn't sold on the idea though yet.

I just lost my bird dog last September, though he retired about 7 years ago. Woody was a great duck and goose dog, and actually did very well in the field; he flushed, but he stayed close enough that it worked, and he never failed to bring them back to me.

We breed springer spaniels, also hunt and field trial them. We train all breeds of gun dogs Pointers, labs, and all other bird dogs. springers are flushers close hunting and bird crazy, also make great faily companions. we love em we hunt them on everything pheasant, quail, duck, goose, and even grouse. checkout our site below some good pics on there of the dogs. We went to South Dakota this year and killed 66 roosters in 5 days it was a blast.

Woody was a MH... a friend of mine is a breeder and retriever-specific trainer. Woody could do hand and whistle commands, and remembered a lot of them until he was gone.

Just as I won't convince you that labs are best, you won't convince me they aren't. :) The sporting breeds in general are great family dogs as well as a lot of fun in the field. I've even seen American cockers that did really well in the field; they just looked funny doing it.

Not trying to sell a dog or breed, just love mine. I'll talk em up any chance I get. To each thier own, all that matters is you find one you like.

I agree... It's just a religious argument, that's all I was saying. :) Or if you like garnish or don't!

Really, there aren't a lot of dogs I don't like... even dogs that others can't get along with seem to do ok around me. Maybe I'm a dog whisperer and don't realize it!

A great memory I have, related back to quail, was when I marshalled field trials for pointers, on horseback. Fall weather, lots of people having a great time, and dogs doing their best to point at birds. Woody was with me, and when the weims had to do water retrieves, he got lots of action as some of the dogs refused to bring the birds out of the water. I did this for a few trials, and loved every minute of it.

One of my favorite memories was seeing my brother's 40 pound britney retrieve15 pound greater canadian geese when we were hunting a couple weeks ago. The bird would be almost as big as the dog and he would have a hell of a time putting it in his mouth and bringing it back to us, but he seemed to love every minute of it.

Back