• Meathenge: Using the Vertical Finishing Method on a Large USDA Choice Porterhouse

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Yesterday, I was in the mood for a large porterhouse steak, so I headed to the Ralph's in Porter Ranch, which has some of the best beef within 25 miles. Wide selection of USDA Choice, and a very good selection of Prime as well.

Unfortunately, the porterhouse steaks they had in the meat section were too thin, so I asked the butcher if they had any bigger, and he said they'd be happy to cut one for me. I asked for 1.5 inches thick, and boy, did they cut up a beauty for me.

Here it is, unpacked:

DSC_2785_zps7470ede5.jpg

There's almost as much filet as there is strip! That's how I like my porterhouse steaks! There was, however, a pretty large line of fat outside the strip, so I decided to trim it off:

DSC_2786_zps76f0c7aa.jpg

I decided on a simple seasoning of seasoned pepper and seasoned salt:

DSC_2789_zpseff0b8ab.jpg

Then fired up the Kamado with a bunch of lump for a high heat cook:

DSC_2791_zps92d7837f.jpg

DSC_2793_zps8629ca07.jpg

For this cook, I didn't do my usual reverse sear, although I kept the bone side towards the fire at all times:

DSC_2794_zpsd7db4e18.jpg

After several minutes on each side, with an internal temp reading about 115, I employed a technique I use for any kind of chop or t-bone style cut, which is to place the meat bone side down over the hottest section of the grill. I find this very helpful in cooking the meat near the bone, which often comes out much more underdone than the rest of the meat. It always works great, plus it looks kinda cool:

DSC_2797_zps0b4f84ac.jpg

DSC_2798_zps95c38f75.jpg

Sometimes with smaller cuts, or thinner ones, the meat won't stand upright, and in this situation, I'll just put a half section of brick on the grill to help prop it up.

After about two minutes standing upright, the meat was done, so I brought it inside and let it rest:

DSC_2810_zps7301a5fb.jpg

Ten minutes later, I separated the filet and strip from the bone, and sliced it up:

CutSteak1_zpsb9607340.jpg

The Missus and I devoured our portions, and there wasn't a single scrap left!

I don't claim to have invented putting the chops upright at the end of a cook, as I'm sure some of you already do this, but for those who haven't tried it, I highly recommend it!

Looks really great Moose! Did you hit the "Big 6"? One of these days, I will have to just bite the wallet and get a good thick Porterhouse and try this method. Been too long since I had a good thick one. mmmm good!

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

That's a nice hunk o'beef, Moose!

I'm not sure that I needed to see your meat erect like that, however. :boink:

Looks really great Moose! Did you hit the "Big 6"? One of these days, I will have to just bite the wallet and get a good thick Porterhouse and try this method. Been too long since I had a good thick one. mmmm good!

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

Omar, by "big 6" I'm guessing you mean temp of 600? If so, nope. As I recall the thermo was a little over 500. Even still, didn't take me more than 6 minutes to cook the steak from start to finish.

I thought he was referring to the lottery... Nice hunk of beef there...

I will try that next time. Great tip!
Also, just salt and pepper on the steak. Best way in my opinion. I want to taste the meat not a rub.

Back