High Heat Butt Pron

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Wifey asked me if I could do a Boston Butt for a friend of hers, plus one for our neighbor, so I was happy to oblige. I then realized I have never posted a Boston Butt pron thread before, so here goes. Nothing new or exciting, I think most of us here know how to smoke them by now. :-D

Game plan: Bovine Bold rub, smoke at 225 for an hour or so with hickory and cherry, then ramp up to 275-300 range until internal temp of 195. No wrapping, though I'm spritzing every hour or so with apple juice starting at about the 4 hour mark. Rest in butcher paper in a cooler for 2 hours, then pull, chop and sauce.

Two 10 lb. bone-in boston butts from RD. I like to trim the fat cap down to about 1/8 inch. I cook fat cap down so I don't disturb the bark.
IMG_0005.jpg

Lately I've been putting one layer of rub on about an hour before they go on the smoker then put them back in the fridge. This will pull out some moisture, so I then put a second layer of rub on top of the first. Can't have too much rub on a pork shoulder as far as I'm concerned.
IMG_0017.jpg

2 hunks each of cherry and hickory on top, and 2 more of each buried underneath. RO lump.
IMG_0011.jpg

Locked and loaded at 0-dark thirty.
IMG_0029.jpg

First peek at about 4 hours, spritzing with apple juice about every hour the rest of the way out.
IMG_0035.jpg

Pulled at 199 internal. Total time on the smoker was 9 1/2 hours. Smoker temps were between 270 and 290.
IMG_0041.jpg

I like to wrap with butcher paper for the resting stage. It may be just me, but I seem to get a better bark this way. Could be that the bark doesn't get steamed as much as when you use foil. Dunno.
IMG_0051.jpg

Neighbor threw me a curve ball and told me she wanted to serve her family tonight, so I had to pull the pork after only an hour rest instead of two hours. Bone pulled right out though.
IMG_0064.jpg

I like to chop fine so I get lots of little pieces of bark throughout. Lightly sauced with some Blue's Hog Tennesee Red. This is whats left after I sent a pan to the neighbor. Neighbor called and said the kids were just raving about how good it was. That's all!
IMG_0071.jpg

Last edited:
That looks dang good, now some folks may disagree, but I'd bet not.:wink:

I always do my butts on the high side 270-300 always turn out good

Ah, nice butt oh master of the high heat cook.

Nice job, I'm going back to charcoal, I used lump the other day and I burnt the heck out of my stuff.

Looks great!! I can see why your neighbor wanted to eat sooner rather than later! :laugh:

You could send the next pan to my house! Looks Good!

Looks like it turned out great. Always tried to maintain 225 to 250 temp range and have had all of them go for waaaayyyy over your cook time. Thanks for the heads up cuz the next butt on my smoker is getting the treatment you gave these.

Nice butts! I've also been cooking mine fat cap down on the egg recently for the exact same reason. :thumb:

I like the butcher paper idea, and will be trying it out.

Nice...thanks for the play-by-play! :p I do mine in foil pans @ 325-350...foil @ 160ish....cooler @ 190ish for slices...210ish for pulled (I found I need to take the butts to a higher internal for pulling when cooking hh). They usually pop in about 4-5 hours...:becky: I'll have to give the butcher paper a try...see how it does on the bark...:cool:

Very nice,
just pulled an 8 pounder out of the freezer to smoke tomorrow,
timing is everything.

Back