Weber Performer Performance

S

smitchamore

I have just purchased a Wever Performer after years of using gas. After cooking on it a couple of times, I'm having a hard time getting the temp up. Is 500 degrees an unreasonable want? If not, how can I crank it that high?

I've read some reco using 2 grates at 90 degrees to each other or using a BGE grate for the charcoal. What are the bene's of doing that? FYI, I am using Kingsford regular so far, but I want to go lump when I run out.

I really want to get in and off fast, for burgers especially. Have not smoked much yet; maybe down the road. Any help or techniques would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry smitchamore looks like you snuck in under the radar and got no love! It happens.

Congrats on the Weber! And a Performer to boot! First thing to check is to make sure your lower vents are 100% open, that will help air flow. More air = more heat. Also use a good amount of charcoal if you want higher temps. A chimney full will do for most cooks but if you want mega hot then you'll need 1.5 chimneys or more. Just get one full chimney going, pour it out and pile on some more charcoal. That will get you burning hot. Or you can do like my dad used to, old school style, and build a pyramid with the coals.

Or go buy some lump and your problems will be solved. Just make sure those bottom vents are open!

I'm a performer addict myself....

I love charcoal and there's a whole lot of room to put it in that there Weber. You can easily peg the thermo if you use the right amount of charcoal and get enough airflow. I'll tell you now it's operator error... Pile yourself up a nice load of fuel open all vents and push the red button. When all the coals are gray, close the lid... That needle will travel faster than a thong up a fat chicks arse.

I'm a performer addict myself....

I love charcoal and there's a whole lot of room to put it in that there Weber. You can easily peg the thermo if you use the right amount of charcoal and get enough airflow. I'll tell you now it's operator error... Pile yourself up a nice load of fuel open all vents and push the red button. When all the coals are gray, close the lid... That needle will travel faster than a thong up a fat chicks arse.

There ya go, you build a big enough fire and it will get to the temp your are looking for.

One other thing to consider. If your spreading out the lit briquettes the fire will be less hot, be sure to use a pile and you'll bring the heat closer to the grate surface.
I use very high heat when doing burgers and steaks, give lump a try it burns hotter than K.

...and if that doesn't get hot enough for you, break out an air compressor and stoke it up! (without the food on).:roll:

I use strictly lump in my performer when cooking steaks or burgers. It burns hotter than briquettes.

^^^^ Problem solved!! Let us know what worked for ya and what didn't!

That needle will travel faster than a thong up a fat chicks arse.
Damn now that is a vivid! Good Goodly Moogly Yuck! Yeah the main thing keep the coals in a pile and make sure all vents are wide open. If that doesn't work pact it up and send it to me and I will test it for you :thumb:

All good advise.
If you really want to get cookin' fast, get ya a weed burner and fire that baby up...

forget about that propane assist (if you got it)... It's too slow

I have never had a problem with the performer not getting hot enough. If you follow all the above advice you should be good to go. :cool:

Lots of lump and open vents. The brethren nailed it.

Good luck, bro!

I have never used lump inside my Performer and have never had a problem with pegging the thermometer. I always use blue K and have always had great success with both high heat and low and slow burns.

ive started with the onboard propane, chimney over the onboard propane, and a weed burner...all ways are perfectly acceptable, and even with the rotisserie ring on it i can still peg the thermo, or get about a 5-6hr burn using the offset brick method.

Back