What's A Butt Worth??

A

AUCE98

Well, I was talking to my father who was trying to come up with some ideas for a fund raiser at our church. I suggested to him to pre-sell boston butts and get some volunteers to smoke'em. I figured a good time to do it would be Memorial Day weekend. My biggest question is what would be a good selling price for an 8-9 lb butt. I consider it quite a deal to buy top quality Q for less than half the price of a Honey Baked Ham, but I just wanted some suggestions.

Thanks,

Selling by the butt can be difficult IMO because no two or the same size. One may end up 4 1/2 lbs cooked and another 3 1/2 cooked. Some I have seen switched from by the butt to 4lbs of cooked meat with sauce Around here people pay $45 for 4lbs of pulled pork with 16oz of sauce.

I have seen it for between $10 and $12 a pound pulled. If you go with a whole butt, I would imagine the price should be less.

I like the idea of selling it by the pound, good idea. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Generally I get about 60% weight of finished meat to raw, so a 10 pound raw butt will end up with 6 pounds after cooking, bone removed and cleaned. This goes for $10/lbs "by the pound" but in bulk (catering) I generally drop to $8.00 and throw in a few quarts of sauce. Work out your menu mapping and you can plug in just about any price scenario you want to see what your profit will be. I have a 50lbs catering job coming up that I am doing for the $8/lbs... starting with 100lbs at .89/lb; when all is said and done I will clear $275.00 or about $22.90 an hour (12 hrs).
If you are supplying bread, serving containers, napkins etc, be sure to add that in.

I have done a few fundraisers for youth groups and the kids charge $20 for a whole tri-tip or a whole rack of ribs. The kids pre-sell the meat and the customers come by and pick up whole tri's or ribs. All we do is cook and wrap them for pick-up. We don't charge for anything except the meat and supplies. Good way to get your name out and do something to give back to the community.

Our church sells 6lb average butts for $25 each. They sell out every time at that price. Takes about 3 days to smoke them all.

You will need a certified scale to sell by the lb. even for a fundraiser. Sell pulled meat by the "volume". Get containers that can hold app. 1# and 5# of PP. Then sell the container, not suggesting an actual weight. Simply state that "this container had enough servings for X people".
This is the only way to get around having another piece of equipment you will barely use after a while.

Just came back from cooking 17 cases of tri-tip and 5 cases of babybacks we did for a youth fundraiser on Saturday. $20 per tri and $20 per rack. The kids pre-sold all the meat and we had two pick-up times, one noon and the other 5pm so we could do two cooks in one day. No complaints about some tri's being too small since it was a fundraiser so everyone was happy to help the kids out. Some of those kids sold 20 tri's!! Sure will go a long way to help them buy equipment. Gross was about $10,000.

Most fundraisers around here (Northern MS) sell whole butts for 30. Lots of "professional fundraisers" charging $10 each to cook, giving 10 for the butt and $10 to the charity. They advertise as 8lb average, so people understand if they get a slight one.

^^^^^ What he said around here, Northern MS. $25-$30 for a Butt. Off the smoker into foil.

Back