The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
AUCE98
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What's A Butt Worth??

Well, I was talking to my father who was trying to come up with some ideas for a fund raiser at our church. I suggested to him to pre-sell boston butts and get some volunteers to smoke'em. I figured a good time to do it would be Memorial Day weekend. My biggest question is what would be a good selling price for an 8-9 lb butt. I consider it quite a deal to buy top quality Q for less than half the price of a Honey Baked Ham, but I just wanted some suggestions.

Thanks,
AUCE98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

$8 a pound finished product for a fund raiser

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Selling by the butt can be difficult IMO because no two or the same size. One may end up 4 1/2 lbs cooked and another 3 1/2 cooked. Some I have seen switched from by the butt to 4lbs of cooked meat with sauce Around here people pay $45 for 4lbs of pulled pork with 16oz of sauce.

Unread 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have seen it for between $10 and $12 a pound pulled. If you go with a whole butt, I would imagine the price should be less.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
bam
is one Smokin' Farker

Fund raiser 9-10 dollars a pound.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
AUCE98
Found some matches.

I like the idea of selling it by the pound, good idea. Thanks for all the suggestions!
AUCE98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
Fund raiser 9-10 dollars a pound.
Ditto.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Badfrog
Found some matches.

Generally I get about 60% weight of finished meat to raw, so a 10 pound raw butt will end up with 6 pounds after cooking, bone removed and cleaned. This goes for $10/lbs "by the pound" but in bulk (catering) I generally drop to $8.00 and throw in a few quarts of sauce. Work out your menu mapping and you can plug in just about any price scenario you want to see what your profit will be. I have a 50lbs catering job coming up that I am doing for the $8/lbs... starting with 100lbs at .89/lb; when all is said and done I will clear $275.00 or about $22.90 an hour (12 hrs).
If you are supplying bread, serving containers, napkins etc, be sure to add that in.

Unread 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I have done a few fundraisers for youth groups and the kids charge $20 for a whole tri-tip or a whole rack of ribs. The kids pre-sell the meat and the customers come by and pick up whole tri's or ribs. All we do is cook and wrap them for pick-up. We don't charge for anything except the meat and supplies. Good way to get your name out and do something to give back to the community.
PorkQPine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
HHpepper
Full Fledged Farker

Our church sells 6lb average butts for $25 each. They sell out every time at that price. Takes about 3 days to smoke them all.
HHpepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You will need a certified scale to sell by the lb. even for a fundraiser. Sell pulled meat by the "volume". Get containers that can hold app. 1# and 5# of PP. Then sell the container, not suggesting an actual weight. Simply state that "this container had enough servings for X people".
This is the only way to get around having another piece of equipment you will barely use after a while.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Just came back from cooking 17 cases of tri-tip and 5 cases of babybacks we did for a youth fundraiser on Saturday. $20 per tri and $20 per rack. The kids pre-sold all the meat and we had two pick-up times, one noon and the other 5pm so we could do two cooks in one day. No complaints about some tri's being too small since it was a fundraiser so everyone was happy to help the kids out. Some of those kids sold 20 tri's!! Sure will go a long way to help them buy equipment. Gross was about $10,000.
PorkQPine is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

Most fundraisers around here (Northern MS) sell whole butts for 30. Lots of "professional fundraisers" charging $10 each to cook, giving 10 for the butt and $10 to the charity. They advertise as 8lb average, so people understand if they get a slight one.
MemphisBBQCO.com
Yazoo's is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^^ What he said around here, Northern MS. $25-$30 for a Butt. Off the smoker into foil.