The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Why Fri/Sat?

Being a relative newbie to the comp world, I'm wondering why most competitions are Fri/Sat versus Sat/Sun. With most having to take off work on Friday, just curious if people prefer the Fri/Sat format and why it's the historical precedent for contests. Church comes to mind, but I'm not sure it that's the reasoning or not. I know some people like to rest on Sunday, but I'd rather rest at work
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We just had a discussion about this on the California board. We recently got to try the Sat/Sun format at the Lancaster contest, and the consensus was that it doesn't work as well for most competitors in an area where many have to travel multiple hours to get to a venue.

It was nice to get up early and drive on Saturday, arrive late in the afternoon and set up in the pre-sunset wind and get straight to work, but tearing down on Sunday and THEN setting out on a seven-hour drive (made a few hours longer by a closed freeway due to a wildfire, and much-needed nap stops) made for a really awful Monday.

In some instances, there's an organizational reason -- when concurrent events that the BBQ contest is tied to come off on Saturday, for instance.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

My ASSumption, and I remind you this is just a guess, is that it has to do with church. If a comp were on a Sat/Sun, all the teams, judges, volunteers, and potential visitors would have to miss church on Sunday morning. Another thing, as some one who has done a Sat/Sun comp before, I missed having a night to recover and a day to unpack before returning to work. Any other ideas?

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, I get having to drive home late on Sunday and get back to work on Monday. I just figure teams that have to drive that long can take off Monday, versus most having to take off Friday to get set-up in time.

I think the concept of tying to an event on Friday and Saturday (Music, beer gardens, etc.) makes sense, along with the church thing.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think as much as it depends on the teams, it may be more for the general public. Remember that most of the comps are sponsored and as such they want to reach as much of the public as possible. IMHO, it's easier to get people to stop by for a couple of hours Friday Night and then again on Saturday morning than Saturday night & Sunday morning.

As for me, I prefer having Sunday for unpacking and clean up.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I think the solution is to have 3 days weekends every weekend
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Got my vote!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I think as much as it depends on the teams, it may be more for the general public. Remember that most of the comps are sponsored and as such they want to reach as much of the public as possible. IMHO, it's easier to get people to stop by for a couple of hours Friday Night and then again on Saturday morning than Saturday night & Sunday morning.

As for me, I prefer having Sunday for unpacking and clean up.
I think the crowd thing makes a lot of sense. Organizers can promote bands, food, etc. Friday night, all day Sat and Sat evening much better than a Sat and Sunday event.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Here in the northeast all the comps are sat/sun. Only one I've seen that is close and does a fri/sat is New Holland PA. I will concur that having sunday as a lazy day is very nice but I have to take off friday to do it. So for me its either taking off friday or monday. six of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
As AR Open Champ, can't you just make it so?

Unread 10-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
swamprb

Most all PNWBA comps are Sat/Sun, we have some one day "Lite" comps usually on Saturdays. Occasionally there may be some overnight late load in's (6-9pm Sat) which I won't participate in-not cooker friendly IMO.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Lets go for 4 day weekends!
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -Haulmark Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote