Vertical Gas Cabinet smoker reviews?

MG_NorCal

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to some reviews or advice on gas-fueled vertical cabinet style smokers?
I'm talking about the ones about 15" square by 48" tall you run off a standard LP tank and sell for around $200 at various places.

Many models seem to use the same cabinet design, but I'm guessing that the quality and performance varies alot.

I'll be using it just for my family, doing the basics: pulled pork, ribs, chicken, turkey, brisket.

If you can find a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain (Big Block Model) on CL or the Recycler in good shape would fit the bill.

I have the stainless steel double wall insulated one. Bought it @ Samms several years back. This works very good. Set it and forget it...almost. Ya need to do some type of mod to the wood box. Seems like it likes to smoke or no smoke. But that could just be me. I have smoked many a pork butts, briskets, ribs etc. Very good. Typical 20lb propane bottle lasts for several smokes...just depends on the length of the session.

I have a propane vertical smoker and it does a really good job but has its limitations - I don't have the time right now to tend a pit so that's where it really shines because it takes almost no tending.

You will want to mod the wood chip container and water pan with ones with greater capacity (easy mod) - I can load my smoker up and go to the movies or play a round of golf and all is fine when I get back.

The units make good Q but not like a UDS, stick burner, BGE etc.

I have a GOSM gas smoker. Haven't used it on well over a year. It was the one I really got into smoking with. I would suggest a WSM over the gas one though. You'll be happier in the long run.

I would build a UDS... While it does take minor tending you'll get far better food off of it and in both the short and long run it'll be cheaper...

BTW, do us a favor and introduce yourself over at "Cattle Call !!!".

OK Matt-I see you have a WSM from the other site, and you don't want the charcoal vs. gas debate which you're getting here, so I'm going to join in with Chris and CBC and suggest the GOSM-the Big Block if you can find one, but the 3605 is fine too. I've seen them at Wal-Mart or you might try this site for more leads.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109
I got about 30 hours of cooking on a tank of propane with mine.

I am going to jump on the GOSM bandwagon too. I do not own one, but have used a Big Block quite a few times at my brother's house. It is a solid unit for the price range.

When I cook with gas, I have the insulated stainless steel vertical from Sam's, I like it a lot, very frugal on gas. Price point is at least twice the GOSM though.

I've had two of the GOSM's. first was smaller model then went to the "wide body". I think they do a darn good job for the money. Mine's turned out excellent brisket and pulled pork. Mine seems to not want to generate smoke unless i turn up the heat. I usually load the wood box and crank it up to get it smoking then put the food on and dial down the heat.

I found with my version of the GOSM that a cut down coffee can makes a good chip/chunk box and gets the smoke going at low temps and for a long time.

I have a GOSM that think its great.
For those days when I want to set it and forget it.
The GOSM fits the bill.

Ditto on the GOSM. Made my smoking during the winter much easier.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Didn't see the GOSM locally, so I bought one that looks like the same design from Lowe's, Perfect Flame.

Did some ribs and a tri-tip roast and it was super easy and came out great, though lacking the full charcoal and smoke flavor I get from my WSM.

Now I just have to find some high-temp insulation to wrap the thing so I don't have to keep the burner on high all the time to keep 225deg.

I run mine just under the medium mark & it runs between 225 & 250 all day long. I don't have any trouble with temps. I even run it higher around 300 or so when doing turkeys.

Thanks, Andy
GOSM

I also have a GOSM big block. Not sure if this is the place or not, but what do people think of the quality coming off of a UDS v. a GOSM? I just built a UDS, and am curious on opinions. I helped a friend build his first, and I was extremely pleased with the temp control--more consistent than my GOSM.

I run a GOSM, the large version. I drilled some holes for an air vent on the side and run it off charcoal (made a small basket). I just set an ash pan over the gas burner opening then the charcoal basket over that. It works great and holds temps well. Sometimes after I foil a butt if it's late at night and i don't want to mess with more charcoal I'll just kick the gas on to finish her up (rather than bringing it inside adn putting it in the oven).

I don't use my GOSM as much these days, but it's quite versatile. I modded it with an extra shelf and can easier pack it with 4 whole packers when I need that capacity. It's also a great warmer for things like big pots of beans etc. Plus, the burner comes in handy if you ever need to boil water or make things like chili in a dutch oven. I will recommend modding the water and wood pans with larger ones. I used a large cake pan as a new water bowl and a smaller cake pan for the coals. I like it and it has its purpose. I also like to use it as an outdoor oven for foiled briskets and butts when I need higher temps to finish them off.

thumbnail.aspx
Gotta be careful with those cookers.

Last couple of smokes in my vertical I put some briquet's in the smoke box along with the wood and it did add a different flavor to the meat.

Back