Used fuel oil Smoker

blueshound75

Knows what a fatty is.
I just picked up a used fuel oil tank I am looking at turning it into an upright smoker. If I get all the holes i want in it and clean out the sludge and what not if I load it with lumber and burn it out and finish construction and sand blast will that take care of the oil residue? I want to make sure the food I am makinis safe to eat as well as tasty. I have read on alot of other sites that old tanks are dangerous due to carcinogens from the oil. Not sure what to do I plan on beginning construction this weekend if this is a safe option for a smoker. I am not worried about an exploding tank have that all figured out cutting with a recip saw.

Blueshound
Shane in SD

Obstacles are the things you see when you take your eyes from the goal...

Well I'm sure I'm going to start a debate here but I'll dive in anyways. Yes, people are right, there is a certain amount of residue left in the tank, burning it out should take care of most of it, if not all of it. I have one that will become a smoker one day. Just remember, there is going to be a fine line when burning it out as if its too hot the thing will warp and twist, too cold and you're going to have residue left. My thought on using one is, people have done it for years, and you're probably going to die of something else before you have to worry about what little if any carcinogens/chemicals are coming from the tank. The way I figure it is, you have "x" amount of surface area inside the tank. This "x" amount of area can only hold so much "residue" When you put this little area into perspective thinking about the air you breath (which has pollutants in it too), the food you consume, not to mention all the other things your body comes in contact with you'll be fine.

With all the above said, There is a strong opposition to using a used oil drum, and if you can find a new suitable tank then use that. I plan on constructing mine when I can do it free or cheap.

Made one years ago and had it sand blasted after cutting apart then burned out and used it for cooking pigs on it still in operation.

I guess that we must have attended the same school of thought Chris.
Burn it clean several times and don't worry about it.

Weiser

I've got a 300 gal fuel oil smoker. after we burned it out, the creosote covered anything that might make a smell or taste. Just give it a good burn and it'l be fine.

Some friends and I made a pig cooker out of a used 275 oil tank a couple of years ago. After we cut it open we welded in some reinforcement and then burned it out 3 times as hot as we could. After that we pressure washed out the residue and started cooking pigs. It works really well.

Nowdays, eating peanut butter is dangerous. So WTF?

What other options do you have? Why not wait for a cleaner tank?

Right now I could probably walk across the thin ice to get to the other side of the lake. But I don’t really need to be on the other side. And if I did, I could get in my car and drive around the lake.

Sure it could be done, but why? Do you have to have another smoker right now? Why not have someone roll you a sheet of steel and get the size you want.

go ahead and use it. I have 2 fuel oil tanks that I am getting ready to turn into grill/ smokers. I am doing one horizontal and one verticle. Post some pics of your creation as you make it. I know there are at least two other fuel tank smokers in the Aberdeen area so if you need any ideas on how to put it together you could sneek a peek at one.

What other options do you have? Why not wait for a cleaner tank?

Right now I could probably walk across the thin ice to get to the other side of the lake. But I don’t really need to be on the other side. And if I did, I could get in my car and drive around the lake.

Sure it could be done, but why? Do you have to have another smoker right now? Why not have someone roll you a sheet of steel and get the size you want.
This is true!!!! Everytime you cook on this thing you will always wonder if its safe...I would try and go a different route!!

I have 250 gallon fuel tank. I washed it out at the car wash then burned it out two seperate time. Never had a problem with fuel odor or taste.

The start of something big and addictive

Started out Saturday morning at the inlaws farm and with a bunch of welding and spare parts helped i got started on my 1st custom smoker maybe even a Smoker Trailer..... Pause for drama!!!!!!! Started by drilling a hole in the bottom of the tank because the drain plug was terminal and tipped it up and removed 15 gallons of very dirty stinky fuel oil. Began drilling holes in the side of the fuel oil tank at the intersections of the main doors big enough to get a recip saw started and cut out the 2 smoker box doors. I then proceeded to remove the 2 gallons of sludge from the bottom of the tank. (yay) Drug it outside and doused it with gasoline and set it ablaze twice... gasoline burns to fast so I threw in a bunch of scrap wood / plywood and reignited and burned out everything, very well I might add. After lunch I cleaned it out an pulled the tank back in to the shop and started installing angle iron to enclose the fire box, cut fire box doors on each end attached hinges and gave up for the weekend. Heading out next weekend to build some more and pick up metal and stainless steel water / drippings pan in town. So till next time........

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 507
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 491
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 491
  • 4.5.jpg
    4.5.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 488
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 490
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 510
cookin

Headed to the farm this weekend to work on the monster smoker. Gonna haul the bandera out there gonna smoke some ribs fatties and pork loin. pickin up material and continue on the project lemme know if i should make some alterations. Been reading the UDS page and I'll be a monkeys uncle gonna need to make one of those too. More picks sunday or monday!

Back