First Comp with my Wife...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hello Brothers and Sisters...I haven't spent much time over here mainly because I've been Swamprb's pit biotch for the last year and pretty much did what he told me...to some degree...:twisted::twisted::twisted:

"SouthPaw BBQ" will be making our debut September 13 and 14 at the Evergreen State championship. :biggrin: Best of all...my wife Rhana will be teaming up with me! :p

So...forewarned is forearmed...I'll be buggin' y'all for some tips and tricks of the trade. Any and all advice is welcome. :razz:

I'll be cookin' on my 2 WSM's and Weber Kettles...maybe even my new BGE...if I can tote it there...:lol::lol::lol:

Wish us luck! :biggrin:

Good luck JD. You'll do fine if you remember Swamprb's formulas for success. Let us know if we can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are also a husband & wife team. It helps us to have our time line writen down so we both know what happens when and when we will need something. (like which knife or mixing bowls etc.)

Tom

My main suggestion is to make sure you have some friends come by and help you break down and pack up. My wife and I have done one contest together including grilling and we sure needed that extra help getting ready to go home. My god were we exhausted.

I also recommend a written plan, because it is very easy to get confused when you are tired. You may also want to consider a guru or stoker if you are not 100% confident in leaving your WSMs unattended a few hours to sleep. I know myself and if I am nervous about using a new cooker or technique I always have trouble sleeping.

I think it's fantastic you are doing this with your wife.

Good luck, JD! Do a couple of full practice cooks to fine tune your supply list and timeline.

I guess the #1 tip I was told was to HAVE FUN!

Once you start doing that, every thing else falls in line.

Tell Rhana to PM me, Ill educate her on how to keep you out of her way. Good Luck!

That's gonna be the best advice I get...:p She's going to be keeping me on track, mixing the rubs and prepping the spices as well as the turn in boxes.

My main suggestion is to make sure you have some friends come by and help you break down and pack up. My wife and I have done one contest together including grilling and we sure needed that extra help getting ready to go home. My god were we exhausted.

I also recommend a written plan, because it is very easy to get confused when you are tired. You may also want to consider a guru or stoker if you are not 100% confident in leaving your WSMs unattended a few hours to sleep. I know myself and if I am nervous about using a new cooker or technique I always have trouble sleeping.

A written plan is a must in my book...I'm pretty confident in maintaining temps on my WSM's...I'll probably invest in an ET-73 to monitor the pit temps while I snooze.

Good luck, JD! Do a couple of full practice cooks to fine tune your supply list and timeline.

Gonna do some chicken thighs this weekend on the kettle...gotta work on that bite-thru skin. Do you hot tub yours?

I guess the #1 tip I was told was to HAVE FUN!

Most definitely...when it stops being fun...we'll stop doing it! :p

Once you start doing that, every thing else falls in line.

Thanks for the well wishes and advice folks...I'll be back for more I'm sure. Not sure if Brian will be a resource now that I'm the enemy! :twisted:

WTF!!!

Make up your mind!!!

Don't forget the fire extinguisher, it's required at Alki!

WTF!!!

Make up your mind!!!

Don't forget the fire extinguisher, it's required at Alki!

Uhhh...ok..no wait...ummm maybe...yes...no...yes...definitely yes...maybe! :twisted:

I'll pick it up Friday when we have coffee...:p

Uhhh...ok..no wait...ummm maybe...yes...no...yes...definitely yes...maybe! :twisted:

I'll pick it up Friday when we have coffee...:p

That's what I wanna hear! After last weekend we'll both need mentor teams.

The first and foremost is to have fun. My wife and I compete with the help of our two boys (10 and 7). We each have our own parts to play leading up to the event, during and after.

My wife is great at lists, so she goes over our checklist and gets the items together a few days prior. We both pack the toy Hauler, this includes helping me load the Stumps and BGE and tie them down and all of the other stuff.

We all help setting up the site, decorate the booth etc.

I prep the meats and pretty much am in charge of the cooking, however we all get input into the turn ins. The wife and I work on the turn in boxes together, but she is getting real good so I might just leave that to her going forward.

My oldest is the box runner (I typically walk with him) and he is the picture taker. we always forget to take picture.

My youngest just has fun and helps where he can.

When it all goes well and we have been fortunate so far, I always get a kick out of seeing the boys walk on Stage to pick up the awards. My wife has been very successful with the anything Butt and has 1 win and 2 seconds to her credit. Seeing her smile when her name is called is priceless.

Again Have Fun, enjoy the adventure and the best of luck.
:-D

The best way to ensure your future competition schedule is to get your better half hooked.

Last year, I was all "WTF? We have to go AGAIN? We just did that four months ago!"
This year, VQ is begging for weekends off.
shiner.gif

The best way to ensure your future competition schedule is to get your better half hooked.

Last year, I was all "WTF? We have to go AGAIN? We just did that four months ago!"
This year, VQ is begging for weekends off.
shiner.gif

I don't know if she'll be hooked...but she is very artistic and should be a great help with the turn in boxes. We're gonna give it our best shot...if it's fun...we'll do it again...regardless of where or if we place. If it's not fun...fuggitaboutit! :p

Good Luck. My wife does not list herself as a Team member but she does very important work- the Comp Boxs and lots of advice

I wouldn't be able to do this with out my wife. I coulden't make a turn in box look good to save my life, and she seems to have a natural calling for it....

I wouldn't be able to do this with out my wife. I coulden't make a turn in box look good to save my life, and she seems to have a natural calling for it....

Hey Russ...I've seen you and your wife in action. You guys are a great team. Rhana (my Wife) and I are gonna give it a shot this year at Alki. Besides...she's much better lookin' than Brian. :twisted: See you there.

Back