THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Uncle Jethro

Found some matches.
O.K. brethren, for somebody looking to get an idea from people he can trust, what would be your top 5 commerical rubs/sauces to tell someone they have to try to start out with? I've always made my own for the most part(for comps or parties I've catered)and have been pretty happy with the results. Much to my surprise, I get the idea from the forums here, that a lot of you use commercial products plain or doctored up in your bbq. I just want to get an idea of what I may be missin' out on. I'm from Minnesota, which already limits my exposure to good bbq. Your input would be most appreciated! Also, would you have an idea where a guy could bu 'em? Thanks!

I guess it would depend on what your definition of commercial is. If you are talking about ones found in a grocery store then I would say you are probably limited to the Weber rubs. For sauces I like Sweet Baby Rays and Cattleman's

For ones you order there are probably too many choices... it would depend on your taste.

My favorite sauces are:
Blueshog Original
HomeBBQ.com Sweet and Spicy
Sonny's Smokin'
Boss Sauce for a mustard sauce
Blueshog Tennessee Red for a vinegar sauce

For rubs:
Plowboys Yardbird
Spicewine's Heffer Dust
HomeBBQ.com Beef rub
Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom

As far as I know all of those with the exception of Cattleman's are available at http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com

Rubs:

Plowboy's is amazing on Chicken and good on everything else as well

Spicewine's Heffer dust is good.

Blues Hawg original is great on ribs and butts.

Sauces:

Blues Hawg is great, most folks love this stuff.

I use Bone Suckin' sauce (the thicker one) a lot and people like that as well.

I have been please with the following John Henry's products:
Wild Cherry Chopotle for ribs
Pecan Rub for Butts
Mojave Garlic Pepper for steaks

The Chicken Tickler rub was ok, but I did not like his Texas Brisket rub (tasted like pure chili powder).

http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/

Known more for their Hungarian Paprikas

I been using "Pride of Szeged" Brand Rib Rub and Steak Rub, also, any seasonings from A.C. Legg Co. BBQ rubs and sausage seasonings.

I think you'll get a lot of different answers here.

Mine preferences are:

Rubs-

Smokin Guns ( reg and hot)
Home BBQ beef rub
Head Country
Plowboys yardbird
Lynchs Sweet Rib Rub

Sauce

Jim Daddy's Hickory
Russ and Franks Sassy
Blues Hog Orig
Blues Hog Mustard
Head Country
Slabs Perk up your pork.

I think you'll get a lot of different answers here.

Mine preferences are:

Rubs-

Smokin Guns ( reg and hot)
Home BBQ beef rub
Head Country
Plowboys yardbird
Lynchs Sweet Rib Rub

Sauce

Jim Daddy's Hickory
Russ and Franks Sassy
Blues Hog Orig
Blues Hog Mustard
Head Country
Slabs Perk up your pork.

The Lynchs Sweet Rib Rub IS really good stuff. Their Butt rub is aweful, though.

I just use plain old store bought rub and Sweet Baby Ray Look on the indgrients most of them have about same stuff only fancy names

I appreciate the input so far fellas, thanks! I've tried some Cookshacks Brisket and Spicy Chicken and Billybones original and so far have been impressed. I can't wait to try some of these other ones I haven't heard of, especially the yardbird!

for me its;
rubs
Rufus Teague
Blues Hog
Smoking Guns hot

sauces
Blues Hog Original
Gates (which you can make yourself also)
Wabash

I want to try more but that takes time.

For Memphis Dry Rub ribs, you have to go with Rendezvous Dry Seasoning. I could eat that stuff with a spoon. Go to their website (you can find it through a search) or call 1 800 PIGS FLY. It does a nice job with chicken as well.

BTW - welcome neighbor!

Back