The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Calling the serious Eggheads!!!

Ok - I think I'm about to score a Large Egg... so of course, I have alot of questions:

This is an "older" egg; It has the band with the locking arms (no springs), it has a black air door, and the daisy wheel is a more basic version... just a slider, no top piece with the smaller holes...

Are there any pitfalls I need to look for?
Supposedly there are two small chips in the glaze?
Do I need to seal those? patch?

What is one such as this (has nest, and shelves) worth?

Where do the pellets go in....oh nevermind on that one

Thanks in advance!!!!

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

No expert here but I think all the newer style parts are available. Not really sure if necessary (Daisy Top and intake door, older should work fine) A new large is about $900 with the shelves and nest.

Look for cracks in the fire box and ring. I think Capt'n Grumpy has a method of tapping on the ceramics to check the soundness.
Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

Sounds like you may have a primo, they have those simplier daisy wheels. Regardless, sounds like a good deal, and no I don't think you need to worry about a couple of nicks in the glaze. Do replace that locking hinge with a spring hinge, though. If it is an Egg, BGE will probably give you a good deal, they don't like having those hinges out there I think, because its too easy for a visitor who does not know to try to force the lid closed without unlocking it, leading to busted hinges or worse.

I bought a used Large BGE last year, it was about 6-7 years old, paid $400 for it. Had the sides like yours. Full price for a new hinge would be around $100, though as I said they may give you a deal.

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Changing the band to the newer spring assist band ($80 - $90)is the first thing to do and then an cast iron fire grate ($15 - $25) will be a close second or the Guru Turbonator ($45 but worth the money). You can get a touch up paint for the chips from the Mother Ship and the older daisy wheel style only cap is perfect for what we do best, smokin' da meat I have one on my medium and it basically controls the amount of smoke not the temp like the lower vent. You just have to take it off to do sears on the grill)!
You will probably also want to swap out the old lower vent for the new stainless one with the screen.
I would say to pay as little as possible because you need to invest a few bucks to get it upgraded. I would say $150 or less is a good ballpark. Does it come with a plate setter($50)?
Remember that this is an older model used BGE and is worth the money if you don't overpay in the beginning.
Remember to look at the firebox and give it a soft thump with your knuckle or a little rubber superball to listen if the ceramic thuds are has a resonating sound to it. A thud indicates a crack somewhere. The firering is just a visual inspection. Also ring the dome and the lower shell with everything removed. Take a wrench with you.
Good luck and remember to post pics!

Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII

Large Big Green Egg adopted 25MAR08
Small Big Green Egg adopted 01JUN08
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
thillin

If it's a good price, don't think about it too long. You can still cook with the older out of date parts. Like above, make sure the internals are not broken. Minor cracks on the internals you can live with for a while. But can be used to negotiate.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy View Post
Changing the band to the newer spring assist band ($80 - $90)is the first thing to do and then an cast iron fire grate ($15 - $25) will be a close second or the Guru Turbonator ($45 but worth the money). You can get a touch up paint for the chips from the Mother Ship and the older daisy wheel style only cap is perfect for what we do best, smokin' da meat I have one on my medium and it basically controls the amount of smoke not the temp like the lower vent. You just have to take it off to do sears on the grill)!
You will probably also want to swap out the old lower vent for the new stainless one with the screen.
I would say to pay as little as possible because you need to invest a few bucks to get it upgraded. I would say $150 or less is a good ballpark. Does it come with a plate setter($50)?
Remember that this is an older model used BGE and is worth the money if you don't overpay in the beginning.
Good luck and remember to post pics!
So basically you are thinking I can handle the upgrades I need for ~$125 or less... That would give me one fully functional for $275 @ $150 starting price. I don't know if it will get that low, but I will try. Problem around here is supply/demand. At any given time there are 3 or 4 people on CL in the wanted section looking for Eggs. I'm just getting first shot at it - If I can get it for $150 I will be extatic.

Are there any differences in the ceramic between the old and new?

Unread 07-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

I was giving you a ballpark to start and stay around. Make mention of the fact the upgrades need to be done and if it got much higher it would be about the same as a new one.I would make an offer of $150 - $200 and then hem and haw a bit and see if the seller is smart enough to make you budge or will he cave. The worst that can happen is he can say "NO. It's this price or nothing." or he can make you a counter offer. I always get them to budge even if it is $50 or $100 then I know I did even better than I would have because I am always prepared to pay the full price in the first place or i would not be wasting my time driving there to go window shopping! $275 is reasonable but try to get him down ! That is the fun of buying one used!

Unread 07-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post

Are there any differences in the ceramic between the old and new?
YES! BGE converted over to ceramic in 1996 and the pre 1996 clay eggs had a duller painted finish versus a shiny ceramic glazed finish on the newer eggs.
The older eggs are not worth $275 let alone $150 because they can not be used for cooks over 550 degrees and will crack for many other reasons.
The ceramic is white and i believe the clay had a reddish tone.

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #9
swamprb

Take it from someone who is working over a cracked Large BGE, the one you described sounds a lot like mine. First off, get rid of the painted steel slider and get a stainless steel one with the screen(@ $40) get a Dual Function Metal Top (DFMT @ $40) and the Spring Assist Hinge ( @ $80) If it has the ceramic coal grate, you can use a Lodge Cast iron trivet (@ $15) Platesetter (@ $80) and you should be good to go.

Inspect it thouroughly, take all the internal parts out and check for cracks, on the lid, bottom and firebox. Bring a wire brush, flashlight, screwdrivers/wrenches to remove the lid (makes it easy to transport, I bring a hacksaw and sometimes just cut one of the band bolts) Depends what you are paying for it, just make sure its a ceramic egg and not clay Kamado.

I got a couple good years out of mine, and this repair job has been a PITA and If it doesn't hold up I'd be hard pressed to buy a used one in the future. They are nice cookers, but I'd feel more at ease knowing I had a warranty to go with my investment.http://www.biggreenegg.com/customer_services.html
Notice the repair tip? B$!!

Check out the Naked Whiz link Info Central and look at the Pre 1976 BGE/Kamado Manual-Big difference!
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy View Post
YES! BGE converted over to ceramic in 1996 and the pre 1996 clay eggs had a duller painted finish versus a shiny ceramic glazed finish on the newer eggs.
The older eggs are not worth $275 let alone $150 because they can not be used for cooks over 550 degrees and will crack for many other reasons.
The ceramic is white and i believe the clay had a reddish tone.
are there any ways to date an egg other than the finish? I imagine the inside will be darkened - and hard to tell clay from ceramic... date stamp on the bottom, code somewhere on the band or under it?

Unread 07-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Grumpy's Q
is One Chatty Farker

Don't worry about the age as long as it's solid. I have an older egg and a couple of newer eggs. I like the the old egg as well as the new ones. Mine does not have a date code per say. It does say patent pending on the inside of the bottom. If it is solid your golden. Good luck! I just put this brisket on at 10:00 am this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4177a.JPG (40.5 KB, 86 views)
Fish fryer/ turkey fryer
22 1/2 inch Weber gold kettle..blue
1 small tailgate gasser
3 Big Green eggs, 1 medium and 2 larges
Grumpy's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

One thing to remember, Andy... As long as the Ceramics are sound, you can cook with the old style band, top and lower door so you don't HAVE to do those upgrade right away. My second Large has the older style bands, top and door and it cooks just as well as my new one. Some day i will update it, but there isn't a strong need to right now.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I bought my large 2 months ago, new. $800 with plate setter, ash tool, and daisy wheel. Built a table for about $100.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

By the way..........my wife, who was "sick of bbq" after cooking 10,000 plus pounds a year with me for the past 3 years catering, asks for pork steaks and chicken and steak off of "eggbert".
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't worry about the age, just that it is ceramic and that is done by the finish. Hard shiny green glass like finish = CERAMIC! Example: Finish like you coffee mug!
Dull rough painted finish = clay!

I bought my medium from a guy who originally purchased it in 1996 when the ceramic first came out. It is burning strong and solid as ever.