Hawg Wings Are In!

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
My guy delivered my case of raw hawg wings this morning 14.4 pounds of the suckers. Thankfully they came vaccum sealed in 3 separate bags so I don't have to do all at once. Has anyone cooked them raw before? Just wondering how long I should smoke them and to what temperature. I think probably 2 1/2 hours or so. Any advice would be appreciated.
Also this is my Big Buckboard Bacon and Canadian Bacon weekend. 2 pork shoulders and a whole loin have been curing in the fridge and are ready for some smoke! You guys say to soak them for an hour and change water and repeat 3 times. Do you just soak them at room temperature or place back in fridge? Not sure if it will hurt the meet sitting out for 3 hours. Any last minute tips would be appreciated! Hopefully plenty of Pron Monday! Also trying a batch of Pig Candy for the 1st time. Hopefully get a little practice so I can bring to Fathers day cookout.
David

I may be mistaken, but I thought Hawgwings were already cooked and just needed to be warmed...:confused:
Not sure where I came up with this picture, so forgive me if it's stolen...

Attachments

• hogwings01.JPG
    hogwings01.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 469
I may be mistaken, but I thought Hawgwings were already cooked and just needed to be warmed...:confused:
Not sure where I came up with this picture, so forgive me if it's stolen...

the previous mention of them in here did indicate they were pre-cooked. it's just that this guy found them raw...which adds many different Q'ing possibilities.

Would you smoke smoke the Raw Hawg Wings:?:
Would love to find some closer to New England
then Indiana.. Did you get your's shipped in :?:
Now the important question how much for the Case
the little ball bearing in my head is bouncing with things
I think I can do with my very own Raw Hawg Wings

Thanx in advance

Well, Gordon Foods who I think are about everywhere carries them Pre Cooked. I will say they were Farkin good. I just thought they would come out better if I smoked them myself raw. Gordon foods stated they could not get them raw "might have just been a lazy employee". But I'm a trustee at a local private club and we have regular food deliverys from McFarland Foods and I contacted our salesman and sure enought they did have them. Says they are pretty popular. They were however not cheap. I think almost 3.45 a pound or close to it. I think the box actually read 14.7 pounds not the 14.4 I originally posted and the case was 54.00 and odd change.
And for those of you asking they are actually ham shanks. My guess is a by product from mechanically deboning hams. "just a guess though" So you have the ham shank about the size of a large drum stick with about 3/4 of an inch of ham on the end. And they were great. No grissel just fall off the bone pork, kinda like jumbo Ribs with more meat. Anyhow I will put some Pron up when I get a batch done. Only problem is they are a little much for an appetizer. Made the precooked ones for mothers day and I think I ruined everyones appetite for dinner I smoked them for about an hour and then sauced and foiled.

shoot....I went thru Richmond last week coming home from St Louis. I have been looking for a source for these for two years. I will try t getome in Raleleigh next week. They are ase tender as a tenderloin the flavor of a pork steak. I love Hawg wings.

Back