"Butter" Question

ChrisBarb

is one Smokin' Farker
I have to ask this. Been really bugging me. I was watching BBQ Pitmasters and Johnny Trigg slathered his ribs in that god awful Parkay squeeze margarine and actually called it "butter". They all do that. WTF? That stuff is vile and very artificial. Why not just make a coating from real butter? I don't get it. :confused:

I have to ask this. Been really bugging me. I was watching BBQ Pitmasters and Johnny Trigg slathered his ribs in that god awful Parkay squeeze margarine and actually called it "butter". They all do that. WTF? That stuff is vile and very artificial. Why not just make a coating from real butter? I don't get it. :confused:

You got me man, that stuff isn't allowed in my kitchen.

It's the same thing on DDD as well. They'll be in these restaurants where everything is made from scratch, local ingredients, or whatever. And when they put "butter" on the griddle it's that liquid gold crap from GFS.

I know real butter costs a bit more, but it's worth it, IMO.

Sorry, to hijack, but would you like a slice of "cheese" on that to go with your "butter"?

Kraft-pulling-artificial-preservative-from-some-American-slices_strict_xxl.jpg

It may be that butter will not do the same thing. Water in butter can boil off and the butter solids can burn. Maybe butter is fine and produces the same end product but he may be using it for reasons other than cost.

Personally I prefer the taste of Country Crock to real butter. I guess that is from growing up with it.

Competition BBQ is about shiny, bright red, and candy sweet BBQ. The artificial stuff for whatever reason sticks to the food better, and puts a heck of a sheen on the meat. I have to admit that I like the way it looks. Taste wise I tone the sweetness waaaaay down when I'm cooking at home. I don't mind super sweet ribs. Can't stand super sweet pulled pork or chicken though.

in that case why not use a good quality oil. I use a lot of olive & flax seed oil when I cook & always coat a steak with olive oil before I grill it & add butter while it rests.

Far be it from me to judge Johnny Trigg, but I nearly fell out of chair when I saw him dump what had to be half the bottle of this stuff on his ribs.
49b9c462-df1c-4b27-af80-4a15fe8f3313_1.0f91ec884c8cd37613c297a16a9b2604.jpeg
Save

I've heard they use it because the burn point is so high on the fake stuff and real butter can burn. I don't think you'll ever burn real butter smoking something, you're usually not going over 300 when you smoke something and the smoke point of butter is 350. I'm with you though, I only use real butter and real cheese on everything. I grew up on the fake stuff, once you get away from it though, there is no going back.

The more chemicals you add to food the better it tastes :wacko:, I have tasted Johnny Triggs ribs and I must say they are awsome.

Clarified butter or ghee is a better but more expensive solution to the water/solids/burn temp issues with real butter. I have a zero tolerance policy for margarine, especially in a squeeze bottle!

Some of it is probably because it is cheap. Other part is because it has a higher smoke point than butter, but gives you all the flavor and sheen of butter.

for one,don't watch those shows.:hand:
second,if I had to use something I would mix real butter & EVOO to raise the scorch point.
third,why not just put the ribs on a lower rack & put some "pig candy" above it if you need to "baste your ribs"

my pig candy-bacon soaked overnight in Jim Beam Red Stag cherry bourbon then sprinked w/ my rub (sweet w/ heat).

pork has enough fat but if you need a sheed just spray it w/ spray veggie oil .lol

for one,don't watch those shows.:hand:
second,if I had to use something I would mix real butter & EVOO to raise the scorch point.
third,why not just put the ribs on a lower rack & put some "pig candy" above it if you need to "baste your ribs"

my pig candy-bacon soaked overnight in Jim Beam Red Stag cherry bourbon then sprinked w/ my rub (sweet w/ heat).

pork has enough fat but if you need a sheed just spray it w/ spray veggie oil .lol
I don't need a sheen, just need to taste good. Apparently, competition 'que is different? LOL!
Save

I add real butter to my ribs when i wrap but it adds a fair amount of time cutting into small slices. Maybe its a convenience factor? I know a quick squeeze sure would save me time

It all depends on who your audience is with your Q. If your audience is yourself or your family then by all means use the best ingredients available and ones that you enjoy using.

However, Johnny's audience is 6 judges that will see a minimum of 24 entries in a given contest. Parkay gives a shine and won't burn as easily as butter and thus gives him an edge in scoring. FWIW I was disgusted by squeeze butter being used in competitions until I figured out that I wasn't cooking for myself, I was cooking for the judges. (That's also when my scores went up)

At home I take a stick of (real) butter and slice it long ways and put it down on top of the ribs along with brown sugar and honey (or whatever else I find in the pantry).

My FIL (who is a great home cook) taught me to always tailor your food to your audience and you will get rave reviews. That's the art of cooking. Anyone can learn the techniques, not everyone will adapt their tastes to please others. And if you don't want to please others and just want to cook your own flavors then to each his own.:thumb: That's what this place is all about.

Apparently, competition 'que is different? LOL!
Save

Ding ding ding!! It is pretty different. Some folks understand it and some folks don't. Of the folks that don't understand it they typically fall into 2 buckets. The ones that say "ok they do it differently" and they don't worry about it ever again as it doesn't phase their life..........then there are those that for some reason they lose sleep or get upset about it for whatever reason :becky:

Competition BBQ is about shiny, bright red, and candy sweet BBQ. The artificial stuff for whatever reason sticks to the food better, and puts a heck of a sheen on the meat. I have to admit that I like the way it looks. Taste wise I tone the sweetness waaaaay down when I'm cooking at home. I don't mind super sweet ribs. Can't stand super sweet pulled pork or chicken though.

I hope I'm not drifting too far off topic here, but just how did comps evolve to where you need candy sweet ribs to impress the judges?

I can see adding a sheen for presentation with the Parkay, but if I want candy, I'll buy candy.

Qualification - I don't cook comps and this is by no means a slam on those that do.

Back