Asian Style Wangs - 2 Ways

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
There's an asian TD going on, and I wanted wangs, so I figured I'd kill 2 birds..

Decided I would make 2 kinds, 1 Thai, 1 Korean

First I got a pile of wings -

For the Korean, I made my favorite, Dakkochi. Recipe can be found here..

Mixed up the marinade -

Separated the wings for this one, and decided to cook them whole for the thai..

Put the wangs in their bath of deliiciousness for a few hour nap in the fridge and made the thai ones..

For the Thai, I started with some thai chilis from my garden. I sure am going to miss picking fresh peppers when winter comes..

Mashed up chiles, garlic, shallots, and some ginger in the molcajete

Added that to some lime juice, fish sauce, soy, and palm sugar. Can't tell you amounts, I was just riffing on thai ingredients and looking for a nice balance of salty/sweet/sour/savory... It was really tasty alone, I think it'd make a good dressing.. Anyway. put the wings in to marinade for the afternoon while I watched football..

Next I made a sweet hot Thai chili sauce - (Red bell, garlic, chiles, sugar, vinegar, pounded/crushed by hand in the molcajete, then heated for a few minutes to thicken. Once it cooled, shallots and crushed peanuts were added -

And the dakkochi sauce -

Got the thai wings ready.. Stuck em on a skewer and dusted with fresh Black pepper

Dakkochi wings don't need anything

Wangs hit the shirley warmer over an applewood fire. When they had some nice color, I glazed both with their sauces..

As they were almost done I added some asparagus. Love the warmer!

And its dinner time!

It was great! Thai ones were a hit! Dakkochi were great, but the kids said they were too spicy, so more for me!

Last edited:
A Big WOW! So...where did you acquire the molcajete? Looks like a good basalt molcajete. Hard to find.

Thanks!

I found it on the web. Took a while to find exactly what I was looking for, but they're definitely out there. I'll see if I can find the link.

Beautifully prepped and cooked. Thoughtfully presented as well. Another awesome cook from beginning to end, Matt! I'm duly inspired!

That does it - I'm moving in! :hungry:

I cook lotsa wings, usually just the good ole' Frank's way, which we love. This'd be a very nice change of pace - thanks for posting - they look great!

That does it - I'm moving in! :hungry:

I cook lotsa wings, usually just the good ole' Frank's way, which we love. This'd be a very nice change of pace - thanks for posting - they look great!

Sweet! We've got a spare room with your name on it. And my daughter was just saying yesterday that she wanted drum lessons.. Hint hint..

Try the dakkochi recipe, Greg. They are really awesome. At Christmas I make a batch of those and a batch of regular. The dakkochi always go first.

Back