THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
tom
I got a small brisket, small bottom round and bone in pork ribs “reduced for quick sale”. So why not enter the small brisket into the TD. Notice how expensive brisket is at Sam's club right now.

I set up the horizontal barrel smoker with some used/burned wood splits from my wood burning roto UDS.

Put my drip pan holder grate in and custom made/modified drip pans. Spacing/location of the pans makes a difference for even heat.

Got all the dry rubbed meat on and 2 pans of seasoned/buttered cashews/walnuts ( DD’s maple syrup goes on the nuts later).

After 125 mins, added the syrup and let go another 30 mins... done!

Bone in pork ribs got sauced with pineapple/habanero to finish after removing the nuts and rotating the cook grates

Camera battery dies, so no photos getting sauced, fresh off the smoker

Neighbor stopped by with a fatty to smoke since I had the barrel going and plenty of room.

That small hunk of hard fat smoked up real nice into beef bacon!
Panned the brisket with a cup of chicken stock to finish the last 90 minutes.

And here is the brisket

Thanks for lookin.

That must have smelled intoxicating.
Curious how long was the cook with the brisket broken down?
8.5 hrs between 275 and 300*
Hard to keep the temp down as I was working on handling the meat/nuts thru out the cook which allowed the temps to get higher than normal/average.
The horizontal drum burned the coals quite even, Around 3/4 of a bag of Stumps. Here is what was left of the coals/wood this morning.

The bottom round I smoked for 4 hrs. Today the wife has the roast/veggies/drippins in a slow cooker to braze and get Tender.

Last edited:
Sam's club is funny like that, some things are cheap and others like what the heck~!

Really nice looking cook, I'm impressed.

Looks great. I really like your barrel smoker. I've seen your build thread. Have you done anymore mods to it.?
At his point, I have found the location AND height of the exhaust stack makes a pretty big difference in the draft/flow created. Using the rear only exhaust stack and the center intake, I get really good even heat and burning of the coals/wood. The center intake I welded in is way to large, I have a time of trying to keep low temps below 300*. My next one will have smaller intakes. I can get lower temps, just takes a lot more tweaking than it should.
If I use the forward exhaust, I do not get as even of a burn of the coals, but even cooking temps are still there. Using the forward exhaust, I will burn 1.5 to 2 times the coals for the same amount of time and temp as the rear exhaust. So I only use the front exhaust when getting the cooker to temp, then shut it down.
Soon I will be building a 1 1/2 long ( about 52" long) drum with 48" grates with what I learned from this one.
This is by far my favorite cooker. The ease of use and cleaning and the cook room is great.
I don't find it to be a fuel hog at all. Burns about the same as my UDS now that I have things dialed in better.

As far as the cashews Cheez59,
do give it a try. Smoke at 250* to 275* above that and they burn pretty easily. For time, depends on how much smoke profile you like. Most everyone here likes it heavy so I smoke for 2.5hrs on average stirring every 30 to 40 mins. The top nuts get the most smoke, reason for stirring.
I use Rosemary, garlic, onion, salt ( cayenne for those that want a kick)
I top with Diesel Dave's syrup the last few minutes ( don't want it to burn) and stir that a few times also while they are cooling to keep from sticking. Any that doesn't coat the nuts stays in the foiled pans for easy clean up.
Thanks everyone

Thanks for info I look forward to seeing your progress on your next project. I've been fascinated with drum barrel smokers. Someday I'll have to build one.

Back