THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
If you remember back to my first attempt with the cross cut Snake River Farms short ribs, I fell asleep and over-cooked them. They were still good, but, too crispy. This time...well...

I marinated them in an Asianish marinade of shoyu, sherry, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, crushed garlic, crushed ginger and scallions. Note, lack of sugar.

Then after a couple of days, into the kettle, running at 250°F, for almost 4 hours. I glazed at 3:45.00 to give the glaze 15 minutes to set. Glaze was shoyu, Japanese Worcestershire sauce, agave syrup, sherry, crushed garlic and sliced ginger, cooked down and then slightly thickened with corn starch.

rib1_zpsfyfisswt.jpg

Beautiful Color and Shine

I decided to remove the bones, which I will eat in the quiet of my kitchen...the rest was sliced and plated

close2_zpsi1z4mzvb.jpg

Sliced and Ready

No photo tricks, that meat was that shiny. It readily separated at the bone, hardly any effort was needed to slice either. What you can't see is the cripsy, chunk of fat that never made it to the plate. GAWD!

plate1_zps5y2e0741.jpg

Plated and Drizzled with a little sauce

The plate was excellent, and I can't lie, I ate more than that shown. The glaze also works as a sauce, so I drizzled a little over the top. A simple chopped salad with Asian dressing worked great.

close1_zpsey0yjoto.jpg

Close-up, Why yes I am ready

So tender, you can practically see in the close-up how the meat is wanting to come apart. My review of this product, is that it is indeed a fantastic meat for BBQ, and it only took 4 hours, which means at a higher heat, these would be perfect for getting that beef chuck rib experience in a very short time window. I started this at 2:00pm was eating by 6:15pm.

Thanks for the great recommendation Shane.

Beautiful meal. That second pic is the one that does it for me. I look at alot of food pics, so it takes a lot to really get me to take notice. That one does. Nice job. It makes me want to go out and buy a pork belly to make pork steam buns. I realize that is not what you made, but it's a similar look and inspires me to do those.

I've ate ALL DAY TODAY all over Asheville and am full as a tick. Heck, one of my stops was at my favorite local Asian joint.

But, I'm with Tony. That second pic makes my mouth water and wanting to eat again. Very well done sir.

I think I can almost taste that Asian flavor with that char and the sticky sweet savory thing. Nice, very nice. Probably tastes even better than it looks.

Shoyu is Japanese soy sauce. Kikkoman is pretty much everywhere, I use Yamasa brand more often.

It's MUCH MUCH harder for me to get Yamasa, but I won't be without it. IMO they have the tastiest low salt soy I've ever had. Both the regular and low salt have a nice deep flavor that I think is worth the effort of ordering it.

Wow, never thought short ribs could look so amazing. I always want to try smoking thinner cuts but worked about the turnout. I'm gonna try this ASAP. I'm living in Japan so there is never a shortage of these in the store. I'll also see if the local supermarket carries that Yamasa Shoyu. Thanks for sharing.

Back