THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Had a raw, uncured ham in the deep freeze. Weighed close to twenty pounds. Gave it a jump start for the thaw in a cool water bath...

pig%20leg_zpseyuyihwe.jpg

Took a few days in the fridge to finish. Removed the skin and quite a bit of the fat layer, then liberally dusted it with Melvin's Bar-B-Que Dry Rub Shake (Thank YOU nephew Pat!), and on to the Akorn it went. I let the Akorn climb to about 300 and let it ride.

After about four hours I peeked and put in the meat probe. Looked like this...

ham2_zpspwi6tcri.jpg

ham_zpsiuutafat.jpg

It was about 140 IT. Since it was a ham, and had little intramuscular fat, and I wanted it for slicing, initially I was going to take it to about 180, and after feedback from sam3 I took it off at 175. 176 by the time I got outside and opened up the Akorn. (Oh, I was using Kingsford Comp with a cherry Mojo Brick for smoke) It looked like this...

done_zps17crnfhp.jpg

Brought it inside...

done2_zpsmodei3mp.jpg

done1_zpsem1tfpie.jpg

Had a taste...

done3_zpsoyjdo7eu.jpg

Deciding it wasn't a total waste :)mrgreen:) I sliced some up...

SLICED_zps2lah9c4f.jpg

Friday night after the cook we had sammiches with a little slaw, and fried okra for a side...

sammich1_zpsbgfetgjp.jpg

sammich_zpsvzzhonqq.jpg

And last night I made a nice dish by cubing up some, frying it in a little peanut oil along with some peppers, onion, broccoli and made an orange marmalade and pineapple sweet and sour sauce to serve over some somen noodles...

bowl1_zpsfwd2tppf.jpg

somen_zpse24eiens.jpg

Oh. The skin and fat? Put it in a pot, covered it with water, turned the heat on low~medium and let it go for several hours while the leg cooked. The skin essentially fried itself in it's own lard after the water evaporated and the fat rendered out, so I had nice crunchy cracklins...

oh%20my..._zpslrgsujou.jpg

So we've got meat for a few days. :becky:

Thanks for lookin'! I'll keep cookin'.

I added a little sea salt, and some lemon pepper to the water, and covered it. Gave it a stir a couple times so nothing stuck to the pan. I hadn't tried it before, myself, but thought what the heck. I wanted to make some lard anyway, and it worked out pretty good.

1. Great deal from Kroger! Hell, yeah, I'd buy that for $26!
2. That looks farkin' delicious... on all counts.

Back