homemade beans

nmeyer414

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
so here is the end result of the 2nd attempt at making homemade beans.

here is the recipe

Ingredients:

• Water
• 2 tablespoons kosher salt
• 1 pound small dried beans, such as great northern, navy, or pinto beans, picked over and rinsed
• 8 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
• 1 1/2 cups finely minced yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
• 2 tablespoons finely diced seeded jalapeño (about 1 medium pepper)
• 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 medium cloves)
• 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
• 1 1/2 cups ketchup
• 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
• 1/3 cup honey
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon barbecue rub
• 1 tablespoon hot sauce

jsITJxx.jpg

wWvUW7n.jpg

directions:

1. In a large container, whisk together 2 quarts water and salt until salt has dissolved. Add beans, cover, and let stand overnight at room temperature. Drain and rinse beans. note: because the beans did not soften on the first attempt, we went with 5 cans of great northern beans

2. Place a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until fat has rendered and bacon has crisped, 7-10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving as much fat in dutch oven as possible.

MVlPfTB.jpg

3. Add onion to dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens and begins to brown around the edges, about 7 minutes. Stir in green pepper, jalapeño, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups of water, chicken stock, reserved bacon, and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 300°F while beans are simmering.

aPg7Lk3.jpg

WauiRlz.jpg

78kzW2I.jpg

4. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, mustard, vinegar, barbecue rub, and hot sauce. Cover and transfer to oven. Cook beans for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook until beans are tender throughout and sauce has thickened, about 1 hour longer. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Season with salt. Serve immediately; alternatively, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze. Reheat before serving.

kCI2KTk.jpg

Y7am5q5.jpg

NnuJE9H.jpg

1qlZocM.jpg

these beans were darn good, they will be made again......:becky:

looks good. try going a little simpler next time, and see how you like them.

I start out with some bacon grease, then onions, garlic, and carrots/celery/bell pepper, or whatever I have laying around. Then, add the beans (soaked in plain water overnight), add a splash of maple syrup, a glug of molasses, and just a little bit of chicken stock, and put underneath a pork butt, or ribs, or whatever is on the smoker that day. Always come out great!

Putting Salt in your soaking water or salt in the beans while they are cooking will keep them from getting tender. Always add salt at the end of the cooking process.

Exactly what I was going to post. I've made the exact same mistake, adding salt at the beginning of the cook and you can cook the living hell out of them and they never seem to soften up.

Done right, there is no substitute to making beans from dried beans, IMO. So cheap, and so delicious!

theres something about the beans here in el paso. it seems that if they are not pinto beans then they have sat on the shelves for so long they have gone bad.

Putting Salt in your soaking water or salt in the beans while they are cooking will keep them from getting tender. Always add salt at the end of the cooking process.

You also need to par boil until the skin wrinkles when you blow on them.

Did my first cook today. They're ok, the beans are a little hard, didn't soak them long enough. I kicked mine up a little bit,"hot and spicy", goes great with the sweet.
I also put them in the smoker for three hours at 250, nice smoky taste.

I hate to say it, but I'm going to put them in the crock pot overnight to try and soften
the beans. Hope it works, but my sig says it all!

Did my first cook today. They're ok, the beans are a little hard, didn't soak them long enough. I kicked mine up a little bit,"hot and spicy", goes great with the sweet.
I also put them in the smoker for three hours at 250, nice smoky taste.

I hate to say it, but I'm going to put them in the crock pot overnight to try and soften
the beans. Hope it works, but my sig says it all!

Crock pot worked, beans are nice, color might be to dark, but they taste great, the smokiness and the amped up heat"spice" go real good.

Thanks for the recipe nmeyer414!

if it wouldn't have worked, I was going to blend them and make bean dip
for fritos scoops

Last edited:
that looks delicious and your welcome.

Everybody liked them, although I think cooking them so long in the crock pot, it over cooked the spices and the beans never did get real tender.

So I tried a frito scoop and wala taste great, so into the vita mix and now have smoky, spicy, bean dip.
The kids all took a bowl of the dip home for dip, saying, this is good stuff.

We might be on to something.

Noted,Next time soak the beans over night for sure.

2nd try on the baked beans today. I soaked them overnight, went per instructions,except adding salt and the beans are still hard.

I cooked them in the smoker for around four hours at 350 or so.

Any suggestions?

Back