THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LanceM88

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Lance
Who has done Dr. Chicken's receipe and what did you think? What would you do differently? I have all the ingredients (took a while to find butter pecan extract) and ready to start!

When I did it, I liked the glaze but I did it with the Sweet Kiss of Death Injection and I thought that ruined it, so my advice would be to avoid adding the SKoD injection unless you really enjoy all the flavors in the injection. It made the inside taste like snow cone syrup or similar from what I recall and it really took away from the good flavor of the glaze.

^^^I feel pretty much the same. I remember liking the glaze, but the injection was a little much IMO. It's very sweet and strongly flavored. In all fairness, I do tend to prefer a more savory ham (I grew up in the Southeast eating country ham). I like all kinds of ham, but this one wasn't for me. It certainly isn't something you'd end up putting in white beans and eating with corn bread, or throwing into a pot of collard greens. The injection is not something you'd want to do if you want to let the taste of the meat itself shine through.

I'm glad I posted this question. So I will use the glaze and skip the injection. My dad is coming up for Thanksgiving and loves ham. I really used to like honey baked ham because it had a sweet savory quality to the meat. It doesn't taste the same to me anymore. I'd like to cure my own, but I just haven't had the time this year to try it and would never try it untested for Thanksgiving. Anybody have any other ideas?

I bought a brined fresh ham that I'm going to smoke on Friday. I have never bought a ham like this so I hope it works out. I'm going to glaze with Chris Lilly's apricot glaze.

LanceM88 - great post and timing. I just finished making a list for the glaze and had already decided against the injection. Glad to see some confirmations on here.

Now I will bogard your thread - I have a coupon for spiral cut ham, but leaning toward whole ham cause it seems like whole ham would retain more moisture. Is that right?

I'm glad I posted this question. So I will use the glaze and skip the injection. My dad is coming up for Thanksgiving and loves ham. I really used to like honey baked ham because it had a sweet savory quality to the meat. It doesn't taste the same to me anymore. I'd like to cure my own, but I just haven't had the time this year to try it and would never try it untested for Thanksgiving. Anybody have any other ideas?

I hear ya on the Honey Baked Ham - I loved that stuff as a kid, but I don't know if I changed or the ham changed, but I tried it a few years ago and thought it was really bad - seemed very artificial.

A couple options for other hams - probably a little too late for the day after tomorrow, but I used to order hams from Petit Jean in Arkansas and they were fantastic - really loved the pepper rind ones. I've also smoked whole & half country hams - including from Cracker Barrel - with great success. These wouldn't be hams I would glaze (wouldn't glaze the pepper rind either), and not everybody likes country ham, but me and my people sure do.

I see you're in NC - hopefully it won't be hard for you do find a good ham from a smaller smokehouse or bbq restaurant - at least it should be easier than finding one in SoCal!

I've been curing my own the past couple years - love it!

^^^I'm not a SoCal folk. I'm an East TN folk who lives in SoCal. :mmph:

As to vegans - I don't mind eating with them - I don't have to share and there's more meat for me! :whoo:

I too am getting ready to double smoke a ham.

I've seen where folks have injected with Dr Pepper and maple syrup. Would a Sweet Kiss of Death mod adding Dr Pepper work here?

Also, has anyone made their injectable marinade the day before injecting?

After further research, I think I am going to try the following for an injection:

1/3 cup rum
1 tsp orange extract
1/4 lb (1 stick) butter
1/3 cup brown sugar

Heated and dissolved/blended of course.

I have a 23.7 lb whole smoked ham. Maybe next time I'll find something smaller. I would expect at 30 min per pound this will take about twelve hours? I will probably start smoking it later tonight using Dr. Chicken's glaze, and reheat it on Friday.

I went with the Kiss of Death injection but I left out the orange extract all together. I made the glaze according to the recipe and my family loved the ham. I thought it was the best ham that we have had in a long time.

Back