THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stingerhook

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Marty

This is the language I hear on the phone when my bride calls home.

Some of the marinade ingredients, most from the garden.
Marinade
2t ground pimento
1/2t grated nutmeg
1/2t mace
1t salt
1t sugar
1t thyme
1t black pepper
1 1/2 cups scallion
2 onions
2 scotch bonnet peppers
2T cooking oil
All into the blender and onto the meat overnight

Chicken ready for an overnight in the fridge

On the Stok for some hot and fast

Plated up with some rice and peas, festival, and an avocado slice
Rice and peas
1 lb rice
1/2 pint green gungo peas
2 stalks scallion
thyme
2t salt
1T sugar
coconut milk

Festival"
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
2t baking powder
1T sugar
1/2tsalt
1 egg beaten
ice water

Mix all together with enough water to make 6-6"x2" dumplings.
Fry til golden brown and serve hot.

Thanks for lookin.

Food looks great. Did you use any wood on that cook? I've been trying to find some pimento wood.
I used a couple of hickory chunks. I do have a pimento tree in the back but it is going to be a few years before I can start getting some wood from it.

Looks great! Love the crust on the chicken, looks like very good flavour. Love the real Jamaican sides, too. Our family (dad's side) doesn't make festival so I had to learn about it at a roadside jerk pit last time I was on the island (1998 ). My late father always said gungo peas, finally found out recently they are the same thing as congo peas, now I know how to buy them in the store. :laugh: My dad would have loved to sit at your table for that dinner. :thumb:

Looks great! Love the crust on the chicken, looks like very good flavour. Love the real Jamaican sides, too. Our family (dad's side) doesn't make festival so I had to learn about it at a roadside jerk pit last time I was on the island (1998 ). My late father always said gungo peas, finally found out recently they are the same thing as congo peas, now I know how to buy them in the store. :laugh: My dad would have loved to sit at your table for that dinner. :thumb:

Kathy,
Just look for pidgeon peas.

Stingerhook, do you or your bride know the English names for custard apple, star apple and naseberries? And there was this other fruit, I think the kids called it South Sea apple or sousy apple, it's the shape of a pear, little bit bigger, bright red thin skin, stark white flesh that could have red veins. Not sure now about the red veins, though, I was 11 when I ate them on that visit. There was a large round pit in the centre, I don't think the flesh was attached to the pit. The trees grow quite tall and wide, I remember granny or dad saying the cows would snack on them in the afternoon when they were thirsty. It's crisp and thirst-quenching like an apple.

Back