THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
haven't used the big cooker for a month so I was up early to let the pit burn off at 350*-375* for a couple hours. By the time Kyle seasoned the 80# (trimmed) hog the pit was running clear blue smoke at 275*. When it doesn't need to be "pretty" we prefer skinned and some of the fat trimmed so we can get a good bark.

2014-07-13080627_zpsf6c2c32b.jpg

2014-07-13080605_zps7e51f50a.jpg

2014-07-13080702_zpsf83d56b4.jpg

2014-07-13080742_zps42c2f7df.jpg

More later. We are spending the day moving tools into the new shop and tending the fire.

dwfisk: The foggy morning background on some acres of land is my type of place. I've said this before, but I love that smoker and I like that stainless steel table to.

That ain't no "Whole" Hog..........................
I KNOW it's gonna taste Great but that's 3/4 Hog or 5/8 Hog or Partial Hog :wink:

I wish I was on a Green Foggy Forty................:heh:
(Except for the mowing part)

So you Smoking Up the Sides in the Gasser? :shock: Mmmmmm Smoked Mac n a Cheese, Smoker Tater -Tater Salad.

I wish I was on a Green Foggy Forty................:heh:
(Except for the mowing part)

So you Smoking Up the Sides in the Gasser? :shock: Mmmmmm Smoked Mac n a Cheese, Smoker Tater -Tater Salad.

Thanks. The friend I made the vertical with the deer antler door handles for is doing apps & sides, We are just doing the main course.

Great photos Dave, looks like a beautiful morning!
I like peeled hogs too... they take less time to prep and the bark is mighty tasty. :thumb:

4 hours in at 275*; IT at 120*

image_zpsdde6eef1.jpg

Added a foil tent to help with even color but I'm shooting for a good bark so probably won't foil.

EDIT. Should have mentioned earlier this is a wild hog, trapped & "fixed" a few months ago and finished on crack corn for a while. The wild hogs have black hides and really don't get the nice mahogany color, that's one reason I like to skin them and build a bark like a butt. For the last few hours we will baste with 50/50 apple juice & apple cider vinegar.

Thanks for lookin

Last edited:
Boys will be boys, Mac & Kyle had to add a fatty, I don't have a clue as to what is in it.

image_zps0c77722d.jpg

Just thought this was a cool photo of the pit doing its thing, thin blue rocking at 275*, IT about 150*, 5 hours in and 3 hours to go.

image_zps9a75c983.jpg

Back