Good Pickle Receipe

indy82z

Knows what a fatty is.
I know its not exactly BBQ, but I love pickles with my ribs, chicken, brisket, pork..well you get the idea... Anyone have a really good pickle receipe? I have tried several and just have not found "the one" yet.

Thanks

Tom

I like this 'un pretty good....

Ice Box Pickles
Makes 2 Quarts
1 Jar Pearl Onions, 12 oz.
8-12 Medium Sized Cucumbers. Peeled and Sliced into 1/4” thick rounds
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Salt
1 Tablespoon Celery Seed
1 Tablespoon Mustard Seed
1 Tablespoon Turmeric
Optional Addition
12 Jalapenos Sliced into 1/4” rounds

Divide the veggies equally between two quart mason jars.
Pour the vinegar into a microwave safe mixing bowl.
Add the dry ingredients to bowl and stir to combine.
Place bowl into Microwave and heat using 1/2 power for 2 minutes.
Stir the bowl again and let cool for 10 minutes.
Divide the vinegar mixture equally between the mason jars.
Seal and place into Fridge for one week…

As a matter of fact I do.

Sweet & Hot Pickles

One gallon of whole sour pickles (suggest Best Made Brand sour pickles Available at Walmart)
One four pound bag of sugar (2.5# for less sweet)
One two ounce bottle of Red Pepper sauce like Tabasco or Trappys
One twelve ounce can of jalapeno slices

Drain the pickles and discard the sour brine.

Cut the pickles into slices or spears or whatever suits you.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, Red Pepper sauce and the juice from the jalapenos.

Alternately spoon sugar mixture and pickle & jalepeno slices back into the jar untill it's all in there which takes a little pushin' and
packin' towards the end.

During the next couple of hours, turn the jar over every few minutes to agitate the sugar and help it disolve.

The pickles will give up enough new brine to totally disolve the sugar over the next couple of hours. Stick'em in the 'fridge
and in a couple of days they'll be ready!

They should stay refrigerated when not actually gettin scarfed!

My mom makes me pickled eggs for every get together because I like them a lot. It's basic but real good. I think it's pretty much like this recipe minus the onion.

I will have to get her recipe. Problem is when I ask her for a recipe she says she don't measure just adds ingredients in. So amounts I get may not be correct.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pickled-red-beet-eggs/

The OP should go read that thread, it's an epic novel in the making. But in case he wants to make the pickles today, here is Marubozo's recipe:

Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

I will say that these are GREAT!. We lowered the salt a little bit after the first batch, but other than that, we love them. I have made both spears and slices from it. People I have offered them to love them too. I use a Habanero Pepper and it makes them good and spicy.

The OP should go read that thread, it's an epic novel in the making. But in case he wants to make the pickles today, here is Marubozo's recipe:

I will say that these are GREAT!. We lowered the salt a little bit after the first batch, but other than that, we love them. I have made both spears and slices from it. People I have offered them to love them too. I use a Habanero Pepper and it makes them good and spicy.

+1 on these, gonna make another batch soon. What does everyone use for the vinegar? Just plain old white from Heinz or do you mix it up with something else?

I have made Marubozo's pickles as well, and they are good, I like the idea for the habanero as I thin it could be a bit spicier. I also might add a bit of sugar next time 2 as I llke it abit sweeter, but had some friends over on the weekend and they liked them as well.

+1 on these, gonna make another batch soon. What does everyone use for the vinegar? Just plain old white from Heinz or do you mix it up with something else?

I just use the Heinz. The small jar is perfect for the recipe.

What did you lower the salt to? I have made this several times...each time lowering it more and they are good, just way too salty for me.

I too have made Marubozo's and the pickles are great. I cant get the small pickling cucumbers here so I use regular cucumbers and cut off the ends until the seeds appear.
I somewhat altered his recipe to suite my taste.
Makes 2 Pint Jars
4 cucumbers
2 cups water
1.25 cups vinegar
4-8 garlic cloves, smashed
3 T Kosher Salt, or less depending on taste/tolerance
1/4-1/2 T sugar
1/4 t dill seed per jar
1/4 t mustard seed per jar
1/4 t coriander seed per jar
1/4 t celery seed per jar
1/4 t black peppercorns per jar
1/4 t red pepper flakes per jar
1/2-1 t Tabasco per jar
optional, add 1 favorite hot pepper, quartered (i've only used a Serrano pepper, minus the seeds and 1/2 pepper in each jar. If I use a pepper, I'll cut back on the Tabasco and red pepper flakes as the pepper gives a nice kick).
Peel cucumbers and slice lengthwise. Slice 1/4 inch thick and set aside.
Place water and vinegar in pot with garlic, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Once sugar and salt is dissolved, remove from heat.
Add coriander seed, mustard seed, dill seed, celery seed, peppercorns, tabasco, red pepper flakes and garlic to each jar. Fill jar with cucumber slices, packing tight. pour brine over cucumbers until almost covered. Seal and let cool. Shake and turn jar several times to activate spices. Refrigerate for 24 hrs and enjoy.
Note these are not canned so they need to be kept in the fridge.
This works for me but may not be for everyone.

Another vote for Murubozo's pickles. Made them for Memorial Day and the in-laws loved them so much they asked me to leave the jar.

Next time I'm actually going to try and modify the recipe to make a horseradish flavoured version.

Matt

It ain't a pickle recipe, but it is pickled green beans. Also known as dilly beans. Goes great with Q IMHO.

Enough grean beans for 5 pints
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
4 1/2 tablespoons pickling salt
5-10 cloves garlic
Fresh dill for the jars
5 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Pack the clean jars with beans, 1 - 2 cloves of garlic, dill and red pepper flakes. Bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil and fill the jars. I process them, but I know ppl who don't and it still works.

I use half white vinegar and half cider vinegar on my pickles. If you plan to can pickles be sure to stick to the same acidity level to avoid spoilage.

It ain't a pickle recipe, but it is pickled green beans. Also known as dilly beans. Goes great with Q IMHO.

Enough grean beans for 5 pints
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
4 1/2 tablespoons pickling salt
5-10 cloves garlic
Fresh dill for the jars
5 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Pack the clean jars with beans, 1 - 2 cloves of garlic, dill and red pepper flakes. Bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil and fill the jars. I process them, but I know ppl who don't and it still works.

This sounds a lot like my recipe, I process mine for 10 minutes in my water bath canner just to make me feel better. I do baby carrots the same way as well, they are pretty tasty.

What did you lower the salt to? I have made this several times...each time lowering it more and they are good, just way too salty for me.

I am thinking the last time I did it, we cut it in half from 6 TBS to 3 TBS.

Back