THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

birgey

Knows what a fatty is.
Does anyone inject their baby back ribs? Last time I smoked some, I didn't, but was thinking about doing it this time. If you do, what do you inject? Some apple juice,apple cider vinegar, mixed with some of the rub you use? Butter?

You're gonna get a million different responses to this one. My opinion is that if your'e cooking for home, it's not worth the trouble. I will say that the one time I tried it (as a test cook for a competition) there was a marked difference between the injected rack (using Butcher's pork injection) and the one that wasn't injected. In that instance, it ended up being a little too overpowering, and I haven't had a chance to try again.

Saturday I'm doing a 9 lb butt, a 6 lb whole chicken, and 2 racks of baby backs. I bought another rack of ribs today for a "test" run. It's just for family.
I always inject my pork butts and chicken. I think I'll inject one rack Saturday and not the other. Just to get a good comparison.

Saturday I'm doing a 9 lb butt, a 6 lb whole chicken, and 2 racks of baby backs. I bought another rack of ribs today for a "test" run. It's just for family.
I always inject my pork butts and chicken. I think I'll inject one rack Saturday and not the other. Just to get a good comparison.

I don't know if you were going too but i wouldn't lump all that in one cooker if you can help it. Your butt and ribs would be good on one but the chicken is much better @ higher heat and with direct heat for best results.

Does anyone inject their baby back ribs? Last time I smoked some, I didn't, but was thinking about doing it this time. If you do, what do you inject? Some apple juice,apple cider vinegar, mixed with some of the rub you use? Butter?

If you are not cooking in a competition, then I think you are over-thinking the process of cooking the ribs. Feel free to experiment so you gain the experience and knowledge. Then you may as well try brining a rack as well to see which you prefer.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results likes/dislikes.....

Thin cuts are probably better marinated or brine than injected. Watch the salt if you gave enhanced meat, they are basically already brined

I would be careful injecting, but then again I've never done it. I would think the injection would take too much away from that awesome pork flavor they already have. Rub'em and smoke'em. If anything, you can always add different flavors if/when you use foil. I just tried some agave and apple juice in foil (just a test) and I liked the subtle flavor it yielded. No sugar at all in the rub, only what's in the agave and juice. They were pretty tasty.

Back