What type of smoker???

rdodd

Found some matches.
Reaction score
What type of smoker would you buy to start comp. cooking? I am looking at a Yoder640 comp cart or a Backwoods I just don't know what direction to go? If you had it to do over again what would you do?

How will you be transporting the cooker? That plays a big part in the recommendation. And how much competing do you expect to do?

Personally, if I was just starting out in competition I don't think I'd drop the coin necessary for either smoker. Do a couple using some WSMs and UDSs, then decide if you want to go with something bigger.

White dog speaks the truth. But, the yoder 640 would take some meat/time management to work in a comp, and the backwoods would be fine depending on what size you buy.

What's your budget estimate? That is a big factor. Also how are you transporting the smokers? Do you just want one smoker?

I really like my current setup running my G2 Party and Chubby. Very portable and fits all the meat I need to smoke. Also I can get hem in the back of my truck.

I have a stumps gravity smoker and it is great. You don't have to deal with the fire control and watching that constantly. It makes it a lot easier to get some sleep.

It doesn't matter what you choose for your first smoker, I **guarantee** you will want something different in short order as you gain experience in competition cooking.

Given this fact, I suggest you start with something inexpensive. I've owned many smokers, but I still keep a WSM in the garage because it is so portable. Long after you retire your bullet from comp cooking it will still be handy for taking to the beach on or the family reunion!

chevy vs ford. coke vs pepsi. blonde vs brunette.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion.

For my first comp I took what I had (Traeger Texas) and joined up with 3 others each cooking just one meat. Had a blast. Got a 3rd place walk in pork and the team won the GC. When cooking with just one Traeger, carried it on a trailer hitch carrier with the gear in the back of an Explorer.

Will be starting my third year. Presently cooking with 2 Traegers strapped on an open trailer, but have my eye on a used gravity/direct combo smoker.

What type can you cook your best BBQ on? That is the type cooker you should consider.

Everyone said above, but seriously do a little research on the type first, because a smoke that is big enough for one might require multiples in another, or might not even work in multiples in yet another. Seek the comps and type of comps first. Then think of how you cook, how you enjoy cooking, and frankly the type of BBQ you plan to present (they can taste and look different depending on the smoker).

For example, I have what is basically an older Lang 84. I can barely do shoulders and ribs of an MBN comp in it, and that's maxed out. I'd need another one to do a whole hog. But, for KCBS, this is plenty to do it all. For a backyard, I wouldn't bother towing this beast; I'd just use my significantly smaller Yoder knock-off. That stated, I obviously like offset smokers and the product they produce. With it comes fire tending; all night. Someone who wants to get some sleep would be better suited to a cabinet type of smoker...

Wow!!!! So many responses that just lead me to more questions and a few answers first off I plan on doing KCBS and IBCA.. As far as transporting the rigs it doesn't matter to me tow or haul.. I currently using a offset cooker but its home made and doesn't hold the heat leading to a lot of fire watching time and not enough time asking questions from other teams and learning this whole game of comp cooking. As far as how many cooks a year just starting a few here locally until I can get to a good cook school.. I would like to get a good cooker and start learning it that would work in mainly KBCS.... Budget is at or under 3500

My only advice would be to think about how many meats you plan on entering, at what temperature range and cooking intervals for each so that you can maintain temperatures for them all simultaneously. Personally I like and use an offset but there are many other designs that work just as well based on the needs one has, therefore before you buy I would figure out what you like by starting with something small - 3 or 4 bullets always work well as they can grill and smoke but do take a fair bit of attention.

Wow!!!! So many responses that just lead me to more questions and a few answers first off I plan on doing KCBS and IBCA.. As far as transporting the rigs it doesn't matter to me tow or haul.. I currently using a offset cooker but its home made and doesn't hold the heat leading to a lot of fire watching time and not enough time asking questions from other teams and learning this whole game of comp cooking. As far as how many cooks a year just starting a few here locally until I can get to a good cook school.. I would like to get a good cooker and start learning it that would work in mainly KBCS.... Budget is at or under 3500

With knowing you are just doing a few local comps and KCBS/IBCA I would say run two 22.5 WSMs. Then lots of $$ leftover for other comp expenses :becky:. Try them out and you can always sell them and upgrade. I started on 2 WSMs.

+1 above. For under $800 you have 2 smokers; you can run them at 2 different temps if you'd like. Many notable KCBS competitors succeed quite well on only WSM's.

Yep... start with a couple WSMs... then get a feel for what you're looking to do and what comps you're going to compete in. That will likely change/evolve once you get going.

Once you've done a year of events you'll have a much better idea of what you NEED.

If you don't want to keep them, you can likely sell the WSMs for 75 cents on the dollar pretty easily to recoup much of your money. Once you walk around osme events and look at a bunch of different smokers you're likely going to change your mind 2-3x anyway :lol:

Back