Florida keys: key west food ideas

coastal

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The family and I are going down to the keys later this week to stay at the KOA Sugar loaf campground.

Looking for ideas on where to buy fresh seafood to grill and restaurants to try out.

I have heard blue heaven is a must and hogfish is great... Any other suggestions?

I went there Jayson! It was great. Definitely more of a locals place and reminds me of some of my spots in SC. I will definitely go back to Hogfish

I ended up going to Blue Heaven 2 of my 4 days for Breakfast. They have a shrimp eggs Benedict and a lobster eggs Benedict that are as good as I have ever had in my life. They also make my favorite Key lime pie of the bunch

I also really like B&O fish wagon, Just a little sandwich shack that was right up my ally. Fresh fish cooked just right

I bought fresh shrimp from Fish Busterz which is near Hogfish. Key West Pink shrimp have a meatier taste as opposed to sweeter shrimp around here. I really liked them though, just different.

The "Caribbean Lobster" i would also describe as a meatier taste than northen lobster. The Caribbean lobster do not have large claws and instead have very large antenna like things. You basically eat the tale only since they do not have large claws.

Overall great trip with great seafood. I will be going back every winter I can. Especially nice for the unusually cold SC winter. I went from 40s to 87 degrees the first day- Cant beat that!

I went there Jayson! It was great. Definitely more of a locals place and reminds me of some of my spots in SC. I will definitely go back to Hogfish

I ended up going to Blue Heaven 2 of my 4 days for Breakfast. They have a shrimp eggs Benedict and a lobster eggs Benedict that are as good as I have ever had in my life. They also make my favorite Key lime pie of the bunch

I also really like B&O fish wagon, Just a little sandwich shack that was right up my ally. Fresh fish cooked just right

I bought fresh shrimp from Fish Busterz which is near Hogfish. Key West Pink shrimp have a meatier taste as opposed to sweeter shrimp around here. I really liked them though, just different.

The "Caribbean Lobster" i would also describe as a meatier taste than northen lobster. The Caribbean lobster do not have large claws and instead have very large antenna like things. You basically eat the tale only since they do not have large claws.

Overall great trip with great seafood. I will be going back every winter I can. Especially nice for the unusually cold SC winter. I went from 40s to 87 degrees the first day- Cant beat that!

Glad you enjoyed Hogfish! Yes the Key West pinks are really good. Different than the Gulf coast shrimp but great. Another place you should try if you want a little more upscale but not at all stuffy is 915 Duval. Check their website for the menu. We like the opportunity for small plates and kept going back most evening meals. Of course Sloppy Joe's is a fun place for drinks.

Jsn

Blue Heaven for jerk chicken Seven Mile Grill for key lime pie. Marathon is best for fresh fish.

Back