Brisket Walk with pRon

FatCoyote

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Off to the store we go.... meat, brisket, Costco - be picky... Find a nice one about 12-13 lbs, nice and floppy with a fairly evenly cut flat; smile and be happy... Bring said Brisket home.

Carefully open the cryopack so as not to slice any meat. Rinse off and dry. Then let it sit until it is cool but not cold.

This is how I like to do it, though there are many ways and thoughts - please don't hang me, but please do provide comment to assist others.

Trim well, trim off all that hard, yellow fat that won't melt away. Don't be afraid to remove as much fat as possible from the Point but leave a nice bit on the flat...

1. Trim Brisket - notice the tight trim around the point and flat. This is to encourage smoke penetration. Deep penetration is best... but not too much.

Brisket01_zps464f4558.jpg

2. Notice the flat has a nice amount of fat left on it while the point (juicy) is cut pretty clean. This is because there is plenty of fat in the point to keep it juicy, but the flat... well it needs a little extra lube to keep it moist, thus retain as much fat as possible while removing the layer of fat that won't melt away.

Brisket02_zps58671d66.jpg

3. After you make sure your all trimmed up and presentable, pat your meat dry else your layers of flavor won't be as happy. Coat with your favorite seasoning salt - don't worry about oil, or mustard or the like.... let your meat rest 5-min or so..

Brisket03_zps08d4b8ed.jpg

04. Flip your meat over and give the other side a nice coating of your salt as well. Rub, rub away - this will melt a little fat and allow for the season salt to take hold - you can use regular salt if you like here as well.

Wait - patience, don't rush.... 5 min should do and your base layer will set in..

Brisket04_zpsda23bac3.jpg

05. Now coat with your favorite rub, but don't rub just pat gently.... if you can't figure out what gently is go ask your significant other, if you don't have a significant other go ask a pet :)

Brisket05_zps525ea896.jpg

06. Now flip the meat over again and make her proud. A nice coat and a gentile touch is all you need.

Brisket06_zpse66088f1.jpg

07. Wait a few minutes for the rub to adhere. Then flip over and coat with S&P. Make sure to use very coarse S&P and do not rub it in. Just pat it on.

Brisket07_zps7e054214.jpg

08. Now flip it back over and repeat. This is the part that makes it pretty, so be gentle, cover evenly using coarse S&P.

Brisket08_zps64406147.jpg

09. Let it rest until your meat is warmed to room temp. Beef is one of these beautiful meat prizes you can do this too without endangering yourself. When put the meat on at room temp, the brisket seems to get a more even smoke ring and cook a little more evenly.

Brisket09_zpsf134cc7b.jpg

10. Start the smoke at 265-275 and let it drop naturally to 230ish. Cook until the color is one you like based on your rub.... yes there are lots of things that can make your brisket look dark, therefore its all about what you like based on your rub.

Brisket10_zps1f439415.jpg

11. Wrap it up - I like paper, some like foil, some even like foil and plastic... and for those purist that don't mind a bit dry don't wrap. Each method has a different texture and bark. A general rule of thumb, the less moister that can pass, the more of a braise will occur. No method is bad, just different.

Brisket11_zpsd7ba8738.jpg

12. Once you brisket reaches temp 195 in the point or 190 in the flat or if you can tell by flex, look or touch.. there. Each brisket is different, but not by that much so temp will work but every now and then you end up with a bit of inconsistency...minimal though - she won't notice I promise.... :roll:

Place your wrapped meat in a cooler, towels on the bottom, towels on the top. This keeps it nice and warm, moist and juicy while absorbing moisture from the surroundings; thereby allowing the bark to stay in tact if using paper. If using paper make sure to flip your meat every 1hr to 2hrs. If going au natural - do not place in a cooler, but rather rest on your pit allowing the temp to drop. If wrapped in foil and or plastic/foil your bark will break down some but still be tasty.

All ways require at least a 2 hr but preferably a 3hr rest.

Brisket12_zps2621c824.jpg

13. Get ready..... pull it out, don't be afraid.... the mess is minimal if you take care.

Brisket13_zps0f58e130.jpg

14. Once unwrapped let it sit in the open for about 10min to ensure the bark it tight and any remaining steam evaporates.

Brisket14_zpsce521723.jpg

15. Slice and enjoy......

Brisket15_zps105b4081.jpg

Brisket16_zps4ffa7e79.jpg

Thinking about a doing a turkey next - or maybe a summary of the next comp and all meats. What would you guys like to see???

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There Are exceptions to these rules; Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast or
Roasts( Prime rib, Pork loin.....) that need to be cooked to less than well.

you asked

Looks like you NAILED it!!!! good write up!

Good write up and the finish does look really good no question there.

Blu there are comp guys that do cook only to temp, but to each their own I say.

That is one of the best briskets I have ever seen. Out standing my friend

I think how you trim the brisket is interesting, removing all of the fat from the point, interesting take on that. I am not a temperature cook, but, with your rest and method, I bet it works fine.

Might be worth a try.

That looks awsome!! Crazy good looking bark.

but

I have never had a brisket reach it's full potential at those internal temps. Unless cooked at very low temps. A probe is your friend. Butter feel is ussually 205-210 on the flats I turn in.

I think the fact that he doesn't vent or unwrap the brisket when placing it in the cooler means it will still be cooking, and probably, using the standard practice that you gain up to 10 degrees on a roast when resting, he is hitting that sweet spot of 205°F with that method.

Thanks for the write up, looks fantastic. I'll be doing my 1st brisket this weekend for SB. Hope it turns out this good.

Back