The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
jasonjax
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Chicken wings low and slow?

I know conventional wisdom says cook wings hotter and faster to crisp up the skin, but has a one tried and or still does do low n slow with good results? I'm guessing the skin would still not be very crisp, but maybe the high fat content of wings would benefit from a longer render?

Thoughts?
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

I tried it a while ago on my wsm and the two things i remeber was one it was extremely smokey and second was you hinted was the skin was very rubbery.

Unread 01-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
campdude
is One Chatty Farker

You could cook them long enough to render the fat, but the skin won't get crispy. If you want more smoke flavor, you can go low for a while then ramp up the temp to finish cooking and crisp the skin.
Superfast splashproof Blue Thermapen
Stok Gasser
Turkey Fryer
Camp Stove and Cast Iron Cookware
Zero Club
Branndair Uisage Beatha Cuallach
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Mandreyka
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

How about a quick smoke then Into the fryer?
Mandreyka is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Perhaps a reverse sear? Or smoke a while then finish in a hot oven? 400*. As much as I love to smoke I must say the oven has been my go-to for wangs lately, one hour@400 flipping halfway thru turns out some kick a$$ wings. Texture mimics that of fried without being fried, toss em in buffalo hot sauce and devour! You could easily kiss em with smoke for a half hour then finish em in the hot oven for nice crispy skin.

Speaking of wings, I just remembered I had some thawing in he sink from last night... CHIT!!!

Unread 01-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

When I do wings I usually smoke them low around 200* for an hour for smoke! then crank it up to 400* or so for 15-20 minutes or so, or until the Thermapen reads about 170*. Very juicy and flavorful and some smoke flavor too. This is in my pellet grill, so depending on the cooker the direct time and temp may need to be adjusted.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Shoes
Knows what a fatty is.

At my house chicken gets grilled. I've tried a variety of low temp chicken. The best stuff smoked at high temps so I don't bother with it. My dog loves when I try low slow chicken cuz he gets to eat most of it.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I go around 350* for wings and they come out perfect every time.

Last weekend my buddy did them at 250* for about 1.5 hours and the skin was tough as heck. Let's just say I like mine better.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Smith's Pig Pen
Knows what a fatty is.

Definitely an advantage of the UDS from my old offset. With the offset, we rubberized our first batch, but I'm stubborn and love wings so we tried some other things. The next time, I smoked for an hour 275-290 and I was going to put them in the oven and the wife suggested frying- they came out great. Finishing off in the oven or grill works too. One time I went Accidental Tourist and soaked them with teriyaki right off the pit and forgot about them for an hour messing with the fire on some baby backs. When I grilled them up, they were killer.

The UDS is a breeze. We just go with the season of the moment, run about 250 for 1- 1.5 hours, pull 'em off for a buffalo bath, back on for 15 minutes and they're amazing. That direct drip on the coals is unstoppable.