Smoked Turkeys - The Tradition

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well it is that time of year again to Smoke up a batch of Turkeys for the Holidays!
It cold out – 26° F. fingers are going to be numb before this is over! we are setup outside to keep the mess where it can be cleaned up easy
View attachment 88110
Make down the brine with salt, a bit of brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and tender quick
View attachment 88111
10 Turkeys this year
View attachment 88112
Check all the birds to assure they are all thawed, remove the extra parts and trim off the flappy skin
View attachment 88113
Inject all the birds with the cold brine (it was 35° F – wow this is cold) Tight fit for these birds
View attachment 88114
Add the remaining brine to assure no part are missed (and keep the birds from freezing out here)
View attachment 88115
Morning time and the salty spa is looking fine
View attachment 88116
Tie these birds up and get them hanging in the Smoke House
View attachment 88117
We hang them so smoke will get in all areas and internal temp come up quicker
View attachment 88118
Added some Elk Jerky to the house party
View attachment 88119
Get this Puppy Smokin!
View attachment 88120
Coming along – Add some more wood, it’s still cold outside
View attachment 88121
Jerky is almost done, Birds are hanging in there!
View attachment 88122
Jerky is done and the birds are flying solo now, time to get a temperature probe in a bird
View attachment 88123
Getting the next load ready for the smoke House!
View attachment 88124
Almost done, just a couple degrees to go
View attachment 88125
Here they are in all there glory smelling sweet and lookin fine!
View attachment 88126
These will be reheated in a browning bag with a cup of liquid at 350°F until 165°F internal when it is time to serve

Thanks for Looking
SD

Last edited:
BTW............I'd KILL for some of the Elk Jerky, and the turkey, and well, everything. I love that set up. Those birds are flying in that smoke!

Bob

BTW............I'd KILL for some of the Elk Jerky, and the turkey, and well, everything. I love that set up. Those birds are flying in that smoke!

Bob

Thanks, it is fun with a full house that turns uot. My son brought the Elk and made jerky, pepperoni, and sausage. He shared but I did not get an Elk this year so I am hording it :icon_blush:

I'll post the meat fest later

That looks fantastic! I use stockinette to hang my turkeys. I may have to try your way. They look awesome. How long did it end up taking?

BTW, it looks like you nailed the jerky! Glad it turned out!

That looks fantastic! I use stockinette to hang my turkeys. I may have to try your way. They look awesome. How long did it end up taking?

BTW, it looks like you nailed the jerky! Glad it turned out!

Had to look that one up. Had a buddy use cheese cloth and got it too hot dropping turkey bombs on the fire!

I think I will band the wings in next time so they are a little more streamline to put in the roasting bag and just look more traditional

The way we do it now, we get the Fyling Bird!

They actualy take a long time 10 - 12 hours total. they hold at the 140° range a long time

Last edited:
Back