The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Recommend some good rub and sauce recipes?

Got a last minute BBQ going on tomorrow and ribs and chicken have been requested. I've not tried a rib rub yet that's been any good and I'd like to pair one with a good sweet and sticky sauce. As for chicken? Well, it's boring, any tips? I've rubbed it, injected it, but I still can't get it to a point where I'm happy with it

Old 08-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
BBQ-Jim
On the road to being a farker

Go to amazing ribs website and try his Memphis dust rub on the ribs... and just salt, pepper and garlic powder on the chicken. Both will go great w/ sweet sauce

Jim
BBQ-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
stevek813
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That's the problem with rubs. There are just so many good ones out there that it's almost impossible to settle on just one.

I feel for you buddy as I am in the same boat... never really unhappy with what I use but not really blown away enough to say I'm never using anything else again.

I've read nothing but good things about Trim Tabb's Pig Powder for a general purpose rub. I bought some about a week ago but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

One of my favorites for chicken is Mary's Cherry Rub mixed sprinkled over the chicken and then a second dusting of Lawrey's Season Salt. Don't over do the season salt.

This method is a nice combo of sweet and salty with just about zero heat.
stevek813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

A cherry rub huh? I might have to try that out, thanks! It'll have to be clone recipes though as those two seasonings aren't available over here. I'll also make up some of that Memphis dust, I've never tried a rub with ginger in it before

The only rub I've tried that I'll definitely use again is just salt, pepper and a little onion and/or garlic powder. I've not tried a rub that beats that yet

Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

On chicken Or ribs either one Slap Ya Momma is real good add a little sugar to it for ribs. I also like Goya Perfect Seasoning (green cap) on chicken with a little med grind black peppa

Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
bananablack
Full Fledged Farker

I like the simply marvelous cherry

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Bigrolltide1877
On the road to being a farker

For the chicken if you can find it Use some Worcestershire black pepper McCormicks makes it and some salt. and of course put olive oil or butter on the chicken its simple but its got a awesome taste.