The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Smoking Westy
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Biscuits on the kettle- Need some tips & tricks

This weekend I'd like to try my hand at making some biscuits on my Weber kettle using some cast iron. I probably should say up front that in general baking isn't my thing, I leave that up to my wife while I do a majority of the cooking, however I don't think baking on a Weber is her thing so the task has been left to me to figure out.

I've got a number of Griswold cast iron pans as well as a 5 quart Dutch Oven that I can use. For those who bake on a kettle or grill for that matter, what is your preference as far as pan/dutch oven go? I'm assuming I'll want to do an indirect setup in my kettle.

My wife has made Cowgirl's "bear fat biscuits" with a substitution of rendered pork lard for the bear fat and they turned out nicely.

Always looking to try new things so biscuit recipes and pr0n highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Two Biscuit Recipes...
Tasty n Sons Buttermilk Biscuits (best biscuits I have ever had, or made)
Makes about a dozen
Ingredients
3 c. pastry flour
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. salt
12 oz. cold butter
2¼ c. buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
3. Using a box grater, grate cold butter into dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Add buttermilk and gently knead dough until the mixture becomes homogeneous. Do not overmix. The butter should remain cold throughout the mixing process.
5. Roll dough to about 1 inch thickness and sprinkle a layer of flour over the top. Lift up half the dough and fold it onto itself. Sprinkle the top again with a layer of flour and repeat the folding technique. Roll dough to desired thickness (about 1 inch). Cut to shape.
6. Lay biscuits on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and paint the tops with melted butter. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until completely cooked through.

Cream Biscuits
Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar, if desired
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
Milk for brushing tops of biscuits
Instructions
Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt, add the cream, and stir the mixture until it just forms a dough. Gather the dough into a ball, knead it gently 6 times on a lightly floured surface, and roll or pat it out 1/2-inch thick. Cut out as many rounds as possible with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter dipped in flour and transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet. Gather the scraps, reroll the dough, and cut out more rounds in the same manner until they are 10 in all. Brush the tops of the rounds with the milk and bake the biscuits in a preheated 425 preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until they are pale golden. Transfer the biscuits to a rack and let them cool for 5 minutes.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
landarc

Now, as to cooking in the Weber, there are a couple of ways to do this that I know work. One is to use a Dutch oven, and use the fire grate to support it. Then use lit charcoals around and on top of the Dutch Oven to bake the biscuits, this works great. And, well, it is what Dutch ovens do great.

The other is to make skillet biscuits. I like to start by greasing the pan with 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease. Remove the skillet from the heat, then place the cut biscuits into the pan, leave a little room around each one. Once the pan is loaded, place in the kettle, offset fire is fine, running at the appropriate heat. Uncovered works great. You can brush the tops with butter if you want. Won't matter, as these have a nice crucnhy bottom layer coated with bacon fat.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
landarc

I am just going to throw this in here as well. I have tried making biscuits on my kettle with a sheet pan (well, 1/4 sheet) and they burn. But, I have been thinking, what if I use one of those air insulated cookie sheets, now, that might be worth messing with, because then the biscuits will be nice and tender on the bottom, and get some flavor from the fire too.

And do yourself a favor, throw a fatty or two on there and have some eggs fried up, cause a fresh biscuit is perfect for a egg and fatty sandwich. With gravy. Just saying.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Smoking Westy
Full Fledged Farker

Landarc - thank you for all the information.

I'm digging you idea of the fatty and fried eggs as well, I've been itching to do another fatty and I have a deep freeze full of homemade sausage from the last round of butchering.

Unread 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Smoking Westy
Full Fledged Farker

I should have some pr0n to share after tomorrow morning.

I decided I'm going to try the cast iron pan method to bake the biscuits, cooking up a neekid fatty using my homemade breakfast sausage and then I'll fry up some eggs so I can assemble some sammiches. My goal is to cook the whole meal on the kettle.

Unread 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I made biscuits on my gasser when the oven (in the kitchen) quit. I was battling the burn problem that landarc described. The parts of the biscuit touching the pan want to burn before the tops get done. The best way I know around this is using a Dutch oven (landarc's other suggestion) that will hold charcoal on top. The usual strategy is to use about 2/3 as many briquettes under the DO. My experience is that it will take fewer coals than you think. I've seen scouts cover the lid with coals and wind up with charred remains in no time.

Unread 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
landarc

Just an aside, the easiest way I have found to cook eggs on a fire or in the kettle...

Yes, a muffin top pan, non-stick, and perfectly round eggs.

Whip It Off, Chambers!