The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
u-joint
Got Wood.

Default Cooking in the Snow?

Merry Christmas everyone!

I was planning on smoking a turkey breast tomorrow, but after seeing the most recent weather forcast I am second guessing myself.

They are calling for a low of 16 with the high only being 32. Additionally they are saying:

Quote:
A wintry mix in the morning, becoming all snow in the afternoon. Windy. Cold. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds NNE at 20 to 30 mph. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.
If I smoke it, this will be my first attempt at smoking in anything quite as rough as this. Any tips? Do you think we should just play it safe and cook indoors?

My little chargriller does have a few drafts, lol.
u-joint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Metal is pretty thin on those cookers, my suggestion is to start it in the smoker, throw the smoke to that turkey tit, then take it in the house, fix yourself a drink, and finish it in the oven. You'l have your smoke flavor and not freeze your azz off at the same time.
Happy cooking!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

If you have some ply wood you can put up as a wind break put that up around your dampers, as the wind is the enemy for smoking.

The cold weather won't do much other than cause you to use more fuel. PWA has a thread where he smoked 70lbs of pork butt on 2 uninsulated UDS's in -43F weather in Alaska. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149883)

If you are having problems holding temp, you can use burlap bag/sheets, welders blanket, or moving blankets over the smoker to help retain heat.

Worse case scenario is to impart smoke flavor into the turkey on the smoker and then move to oven to finish.
Sublime Smoke UDS
RedBox Smoker
Lay Man Pitmaster IQ 110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
u-joint
Got Wood.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys. I am going to read that thread now.

I don't think I have any large plywood, just smaller scraps. I do have a tarp, maybe with some rope I can construct a "wall" to one side of the grill.

Last edited by u-joint; 12-24-2012 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
farklf
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a detached garage. I put the UDS in there and it seems to be fine. I am going to hae to install and exhaust fan though.
farklf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

If I remember correctly your uds is to the point where you could finish assembling that in short time. Throw that thang together and hit it up, man. My uds likes the snow...........
If I confused you with someone else building a uds I offer my humble apologies, Sir.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
u-joint
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbeer View Post
If I remember correctly your uds is to the point where you could finish assembling that in short time. Throw that thang together and hit it up, man. My uds likes the snow...........
If I confused you with someone else building a uds I offer my humble apologies, Sir.
No sir, you've got it correct

The only thing left is some welding on my charcoal basket, but I probably shouldn't tempt fate (e.g., the wife). She's already upset I took over her kitchen to clean out the cooler for the turkey

Here she is, with everything attached sans basket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-23 16.45.03.jpg (52.8 KB, 170 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

A moving blanket will be your best bet. It will keep the heat in.

I use one on my Meadow Creek TS-250.

You would not believe the difference it makes.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by u-joint View Post

They are calling for a low of 16 with the high only being 32. Additionally they are saying:
Wind is your big killer, the ambient air temp is easy to over come, just use more fuel. Adding a blankets, insulation all helps keep the temp in the smoker and use less fuel. If it really windy out try to to move the smoker were the wind don't hit it, park a truck/car to block the wind. Good luck!!
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
u-joint
Got Wood.

Thanks pwa!

I read your thread, and I kinda feel silly being worried about a low of _only_ 16. Good job on the great cooking! I don't think I would have even gone outside if it was that cold, lol.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
OpelGTMan
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm smoking a brisket tomorrow in the snow. Our high is only going to be 17 and the snow just started falling.
OpelGTMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A plywood windbreak sounds like a great solution. You might/will have trouble holding temp with cold and wind. Good luck and Merry, Merry!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
http://www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's been snowing here most of the day, and we're smoking Christmas ribs in the morning. Get out there and smoke! You'll have braggin' rights!!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

You must be from the us. Canucks are just tougher with the climate i guess. Its -12f right now and ive got a brisket in didnt even think twice about it.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpelGTMan View Post
I'm smoking a brisket tomorrow in the snow. Our high is only going to be 17 and the snow just started falling.
Hey Colorado Springs! Brisket is going on around 4am here tomorrow as well. Hopefully the wind stays away!!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote