THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V

vash

Lo, folks.

I'm really thinkin about buying a WSM the advantages seem just so much better then my silver smoker. The question I have is that if you extended burn on it using the minion method, I was reading that you mix chunks in with your lump and then drop hot coals on the top. what about bad smoke? I thought that if you dont have pure flame and smolder then you get bad white smoke and it can ruin your smoker... so is the WSM bad or good for this way of smoking?

thanks

Vash

Minion method burns from the top down. The coals below ignite slowly and the combustion byproducts rise thru the lit coals and reburn. Works like the PCV valve in your car. Reburning the fumes also burns out the impurities that will cause the bitterness on the meat. Using the minion method with only kingsford, the entire burn very little smoke is seen throughout the burn. When mixing in wood chunks throughout the briquettes at different levels, you will ocassionally see heavier smoke as the wood ignites, but still no off flavors.

So what is the best burn method in the WSM? Been reading virtualweberbullet.com but not sure which burn is best. Got mine put together but won't use until sunday. will need that long wsm burn while sleeping in church for a couple of hours. Hope I'm sober by then...

Minion method is all I use since trying it. Used to follow VWB instructions, bit not since trying the MM.

Re: RE: WSM Slowburn what about Creasote?

Jeff_in_KC said:
and mix in wood throughout?

Yup.... you would just plan ahead and put in the amount of wood you would normally use for that length of a cook. You just spread it out among your unlit charcoal. Like Phil said, the Minion Method is pretty much what a lot of folks use, from a 4hr cook to an overnighter. From my experience, it's been pretty failsafe!

Randy

RE: Re: RE: WSM Slowburn what about Creasote?

MM is the only way I load the fire basket in my 'dera. That way I can get 6 hours of sleep if I put the brisket on just before I go to bed.

RE: Re: RE: WSM Slowburn what about Creasote?

Got my going with a pork butt this AM. Must have used to much charcoal temp was at 262 choked it down back to 245. So here's hoping. BTW Indiana pork good chit. Bottom vent 1/3 open top 1/2. Try to [post pics if'in I remember.

Re: RE: Re: RE: WSM Slowburn what about Creasote?

brdbbq said:
Got my going with a pork butt this AM. Must have used to much charcoal temp was at 262 choked it down back to 245. So here's hoping. BTW Indiana pork good chit. Bottom vent 1/3 open top 1/2. Try to post pics if'in I remember.

If you kept the butt sprayed, it will be very forgiving at that temp. You should be OK.........I've had them slip up into the 270* range and still be good....

Solidkick said:
brdbbq said:
Got my going with a pork butt this AM. Must have used to much charcoal temp was at 262 choked it down back to 245. So here's hoping. BTW Indiana pork good chit. Bottom vent 1/3 open top 1/2. Try to post pics if'in I remember.

If you kept the butt sprayed, it will be very forgiving at that temp. You should be OK.........I've had them slip up into the 270* range and still be good....

Sumbitch in cooler 4 hours now still 177*

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: WSM Slowburn what about Creasote?

Beleive I need a new meat thingy deal cause this butt was the pitts. IMO Company liked it though.

Sorry it didn't turn out for you... when you say "meat thingy deal", I'm assuming you need a Nu-Temp? :)

Actually I'm using a Maverick I think ? Sumbitch only took 5 hours to hit 195 and then in sat in cooler for 4+ hours was 163 when I unwrapped more like a pork loin I wanted butta meat. Didn't feel right when I probed it. I should have gone with my instinct instead of the farking thermometer. Bad day all around but that is how you learn right ?

jeff in KC, i have a WSM and use of course use the MM....i fill the pan with unlit charcoal or lump...i put some chucks of wood throughout and then i put a few lit coals on top with another piece of wood....

never had a problem and this is how its done via MM....also if ou need a nutemp you should check out that other site....(not going to be more specific or any details cuz im not really sure if its allowed here..so until i here other wise ill just leave it as is..)

brdbbq said:
Bottom vent 1/3 open top 1/2. Try to [post pics if'in I remember.

i always leave top vent wide open. Run all vents wide open till temp is about 260-265. After that i start closing the bottom vents evenly till i lock in where i want tit.

Bottom vents can close as much as the thickness of a dime left open.

Usually lock in at 230-240 at this setting and its good for about 8-10 hours before needing a stir and opening the vents a little.

BBQchef33 said:
i lock in where i want tit.

Hey - what happens in the WSM stays in the WSM!

"After that i start closing the bottom vents evenly till i lock in where i want tit"

Now I'm wondering what he means by "closing the bottom" vent !!!!!!!!

Phil, back away from the Klose and get some fresh air.

Back