THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
I'm dong my first brisket and 2 butts on my Weber Ranch Kettle. I put them on at 5:45am using a bunch of Trader Joe's (Original Rancher) Charcoal and 1 Cherry MojoBrick. The Pitmaster IQ110 has it humming along at 325. Are there any pitfalls i should look out for?

Please keep us updated on this cook.I have a RK and am contemplating getting an Ique to control the temps.It can be a PITA to keep regulated naturally.A review of your cook when finished would be much appreciated.

What kind of luck have you had on other rigs at 325 with brisket? the few times I've cooked that high (on accident, catching a tiger snooze once the temp settles, only to find out it wasn't settled) I felt i ended up with a good product but definitely when I run 250 degrees at 50 minutes to an hour per pound I get a much better result. And I'm going to have to say the only pitfall I can think of is...yeah not being there to taste test!

I have been waiting for this post ever since I saw your first iQue test when you mentioned that your next test was on your Ranch. Looking forward to your results:Becky:

I'm curious how you have your fire set up. I presume indirect. One side? Two sides? All around the outside? Are you rotating the meat, or just letting it sit still, start to finish?

Here are the pics:

IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

Pics are 2 hours in. I like the color and the outside is dry to the touch so I foiled them. Temps are fluctuating some but for the most part it's 325 to 340. I have coals banked on both sides and I turned each of the pans 180 degrees when I foiled them.

BTW...I don't have a water pan in the middle. I will probably do that next time. And I also have another brisket and a pastrami in the XLUDS.

Here is the brisket at 10am. Ice pick slides in easy. No thermapen used. just color and feel. Will let it cool off for 30 minutes then into the cambro.

IMAG0355.jpg

Here is the butt. Same deal.

IMAG0354.jpg

Here is the amount of charcoal I had left

IMAG0356.jpg

Now the real challenge is can I cook an entire contest using only the Ranch Kettle. Hmmm...

Comments?

Here is the brisket at 10am. Ice pick slides in easy. No thermapen used. just color and feel. Will let it cool off for 30 minutes then into the cambro.

IMAG0355.jpg

Here is the butt. Same deal.

IMAG0354.jpg

Here is the amount of charcoal I had left

IMAG0356.jpg

Now the real challenge is can I cook an entire contest using only the Ranch Kettle. Hmmm...

Comments?

Im sure you could. No need though when you can cook on 1 BAD ASS SPICEWINE!!!

chow looks great and that thing is surprisingly fuel efficient. i can't believe that is all the charcoal it took. great job!

Back