I’m afraid to do brisket

That looks like a nice setup you got going there.

Here is my set up on a Weber. I build a wall with smoking wood, then put lump on one side.
I do have to refill half way through, but it works for me.
87500313fab202fc9801eb848cff2f77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

That’s the thing…food isn’t cheap these days and ruining a whole brisket is a big loss to me.
I find it cheaper to find a local butcher that will sell you a point. You usually spend more per pound then buying a whole packer, but since the point is usually smaller then the flat, you are paying less then 1/2 of a packer, and the point is way more forgiving then the flat, and in my opinion, the best cut on the brisket.
Now if you are cooking for a crowd, that changes everything, and your better off buying a whole packer and hope for the best.

One thing that made brisket closer to fool proof for me....was a long hold time. Recently did a 6 hr hold in a turkey roaster set at 150...was the best ever. Let her come down to 165ish before putting to bed.

Before turkey roaster...did a long hold in a cooler with towels...maybe 3 hours. With cooler method...you cant let the brisket come down in temps much..as you need the residual heat. But have overcooked it when going straight from smoker to cooler.

One thing that made brisket closer to fool proof for me....was a long hold time. Recently did a 6 hr hold in a turkey roaster set at 150...was the best ever. Let her come down to 165ish before putting to bed.

Before turkey roaster...did a long hold in a cooler with towels...maybe 3 hours. With cooler method...you cant let the brisket come down in temps much..as you need the residual heat. But have overcooked it when going straight from smoker to cooler.

The only issue i have about 165-175 is the rendering. Yes you can get a nice bark at those temps, but the fat/collagen doesn't really fully render at those temps.
Personally (high heat), when i hit 165-175 with a nice bark i wrap. Bring to 185F, lower temps and try to hold there for a few hours to break down fat/collagen, then lower temp and hold at 155F overnight.

Sorry maybe my post wasnt clear. I cook until probe tender. Then pull it off and let rest on kitchen counter until it comes down to 165ish. This is just to stopping the cooking.

Then it goes in to the roaster set at 150 for a long hold. If doing a cooler hold..probably let come down to 180ish...then wrap and in to cooler for a 2-3 hour hold.

A long rest and you’re good to go. It’s all in the rest.

Ditto. Cooking should be fun, not stressful. Get to know how your kettle cooks on cheaper cuts first.

If you are concerned about messing up an expensive cut of meat,
frognot offers you the best advise. This approach is a win win. You get to learn your cooker, you get to cook more, you get the protection that you are looking for against loss if the cook doesn't go well. you get the experience needed with your cooker to take on a brisket, and finally, your family and friends get to eat well over and over again. WIN WIN FOR EVERYONE!

As for me, I dove in head first.

Back