Silver smoker minion method

roknrandy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with my charcoal grates and came up with a modified minion method that works great on my silver. I got 5 hours on one load of charcoal and It stayed at 250 the entire time. Before this I was adding wood or charcoal ever 30-45 minutes and the temp could swing 25-50 degrees. The thing I noticed was the charcoal on the bottom burned faster than the coals stacked on top

Any way, It work great and I will definitely be using this from now on.

That's awesome! I wonder if there's any reason it wouldn't work on the BSKD... I need to do SOMETHING different! I went through 1 1/2 20 lb. bags of Kingsford briquets today! That's crazy! Think I'll give it a shot... maybe one evening this week, just fire it up like this and see how long it lasts what what the temp does. With adding briquets every 45 minutes or so at the back end of my charcoal grate, I had several temp spikes!

I just noticed I attached the pictures in the wrong order, Sorry about that. I started this with 12-15 pieces of charcoal and just dumped it one end of the stack and it went like dominos.

Don't know if I could ever get the big ol' chamber of the SKD up to temp with only 12-15 briquets but this is cool just the same!

12-15 briquettes is the "normal" start amount for a WSM and apparently the Silver Smoker. :D Use what's appropriate to get the start you need. Other charcoal lights off so the 12-15 isn't all that's ever burning. Also, you could preheat your chamber with a propane burner to get things going.

In the WSM I put the lighted charcoal in the center (I make a hole) of the charcoal ring and it burns from "inside-out". The seperentine Randy uses is a variation that obviously works well in his size firebox.

When I got the coals started, I kept checking the progress and put a probe in the smoker because I thought the temperature gauge was stuck. After an hour and a half I had 2 probes in thinking the first one and the gauge were wrong. All three were steady the entire time. I was shocked it worked as well as it did. I'm going to test again this week because I noticed when I added the second coil of coals (only 2 in a row instead of 3) I had to open the vent all the way to get the temp to stay at 200. After 30 minutes I added a 3rd row and closed the vent and it went back to 250.

Farking excellent research, Randy! Wish I'd known about that when I had a Silver.

Aeynghus? You paying attention?

Note to Phil

See the "K"'s on the briquettes?

Them are the Kingsford Brand

(he told me I was crazy that someone asked me if I lay in the briquettes "K" side up

After we spoke. I checked my Kingsford.. Yup.. Big K's on them.. never Noticed.

Ding-Ding-Ding Bill wins the "K" prize. Yes I only use Kingsford, with the grates I'm using they burn complete (total ash). And while I was experimenting, I kept track of the number of briquettes I used (60), I filled up a chimney full and then counted them out when I stacked them plus 12 more to start it.

roknrandy said:
Ding-Ding-Ding Bill wins the "K" prize. Yes I only use Kingsford, with the grates I'm using they burn complete (total ash). And while I was experimenting, I kept track of the number of briquettes I used (60), I filled up a chimney full and then counted them out when I stacked them plus 12 more to start it.
I use only Kingsford for one simple reason--consistancy!
I have no idea what is best or better or hotter or cleaner.
I do know that KingsFord (or any briquette) leaves much more ash than lump or pure stick burning. Still manageable, no problem. I have re-done my "stick burner" firegrate to allow the ash to fall and stop Frakin' up the airflow--piece of cake :lol:
I just know that if I buy Kingsford, any where, it will be the same.
This is assuming it has not been out in the FL "dew" for a year in a open bag :oops:
I want consistant heat, consistant meat, and consistant flavors.
From that, I can start to produce consistant que.
Does not need to be the best of each--just the same every time so I can adjust as needed.
JMHO
Back to Randy's origonal post--way to go Guy :lol:
I could have saved a bunch of trouble and a buck (or 50) on my Dera if I had thought of that! :oops:
Where have you been? :lol:

I tried the same technique on the WSM recently looking for a low temp burn pattern at about 150 or so. The "domino pattern" really does work!
:lol:
Then, I dug around hard on the WSM site and discovered that all I had to do was choke off the air and she would cruise at 150 for 18-24 hours. Tried it--yep :oops:

So, it is all a learning process.
Thanks for the input.

TIM

FYI... WSM.....

A full ring a dozen or so chunks, the remaining fuel load is 85% lump and 15% kingsford. Strategically place the K briquettes throughout the lump at different locations. Those briquettes are need to consistantly light the lump, which can be stubborn at times.

a 14 hour unattended burn. Locked tight at 226. May need a single stir at the 12 hour mark. Works for me. A brisket and a full nights sleep.

BBQchef33 said:

I've been cooking with Kingsford for 30 years and have never noticed the "K" before!!

I have a pig shoulder scheduled to hit the Silver Smoker Saturday at about 0600. I'm going to try this! And the 3-2-1 fatties. Maple Fatties ROCK!

Neil said:
BBQchef33 said:

I've been cooking with Kingsford for 30 years and have never noticed the "K" before!!

Bifocal mod

Aeynghus said:
I have a pig shoulder scheduled to hit the Silver Smoker Saturday at about 0600. I'm going to try this! And the 3-2-1 fatties. Maple Fatties ROCK!

Remember, I've got homemade fire grates (see pictures or my web site) not factory. You may want to play around with your setup before saturday to see how it will work.

Remember, I've got homemade fire grates (see pictures or my web site) not factory. You may want to play around with your setup before saturday to see how it will work.

I have a homemade charcoal basket not too terribly dissimilar to yours. I think it will work. I'll let you know after Saturday.

I think Kingsford has only been putting the "K" on the briquettes for 2-3 years if I remember correctly.

Back