Why I wont Buy a Big Green Egg. . .

GammaRei

Full Fledged Farker
My friend works at a winery and he was moving his BGE today, the wheel had a crack in it and gave way. This was the result.

0973e334.jpg

He is getting one as a gift and I warned him to not knock it over. The BGE is a great BBQ, but This is why I am happy with my Webers.

- G

Wow... that's a travesty indeed. It makes me sad just to look at that photo. I think the big green eggs are truly works of art as well as being pretty good cooking vessels :) I intend to own one someday, and this incident doesn't deter me from that. It just reminds me that I might want to be extra careful if I decide to move it :)

Looks like he was pushing it instead of pulling it.
So when he hit the lip in the concrete he tipped it over.
Common sense and the manual says to pull it, it won't tip over that way.
It's really not that complicated.

^^^ I was gonna say...

Tough luck all the same. Goes to show, 2 points against drinking and driving. You might hit a bump and tip your grill...:tsk::doh:

Cheers

Yep with a Bubba Keg, worst case scenario would be a dent, and I even doubt that.

That being said I do not intend to knock mine over to prove a point any time soon.

Shame about that Egg though.

Yup you learn with a high price cooker not to treat it casually. Pull it over bumps and cracks, never push. Real bummer.

My friend works at a winery and he was moving his BGE today, the wheel had a crack in it and gave way. This was the result.

0973e334.jpg

He is getting one as a gift and I warned him to not knock it over. The BGE is a great BBQ, but This is why I am happy with my Webers.

- G

Thats going to hurt in the morning.......

Your not getting an egg because your friend didnt move his egg properly? Sorry to sound rude, but your friend needs to take more care when he moves it. I move my eggs all the time, and I do it with extreme care every time. In fairness to your friend, his egg looks very new from the external and interal condition, so he probably didnt have much experience moving it. Its too bad that happened, I feel bad for him anyway.

Ouch, I saw a friend do that at a comp. I am upgrading my Kamado Joe with some pneumatic tires...just because I can. No reason.

That really sucks!!! But I wouldn't buy one because I think that they're way over priced for what you get. But that's just my opinion.

The real reason I don't own one is that they cost so much.
But that's another one. Say it with me: "FRA-JEE-LAY"

Sucks for your friend. Tell him to build a UDS. They bounce.:heh:

Last edited:
:doh: DOH!

I'm sure that if the wheel itself was defective that BGE customer service would replace the entire unit free of charge since it was not operator error, but a flawed product- especially since that unit looks nearly new. :mrgreen:

Back