THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

juslearning

is one Smokin' Farker
Any of you have or had, liked or disliked? My bride went to the local resturaunt supply and picked up a couple of these for me. She loves and supports my cooking habit and wanted to make things a little easier for me. I have not tried these yet, but was just wondering if they are worth what she paid for them. 5" boning knife was $8 and the 8" cooks knife was $23. Or should she have saved her $$ and bought something else?

I have one of these

Bm2g4GgBmkKGrHqQH-EEtrR0c-QBLhIm8Sd.jpg

Stays really sharp.

mike

Any of you have or had, liked or disliked? My bride went to the local resturaunt supply and picked up a couple of these for me. She loves and supports my cooking habit and wanted to make things a little easier for me. I have not tried these yet, but was just wondering if they are worth what she paid for them. 5" boning knife was $8 and the 8" cooks knife was $23. Or should she have saved her $$ and bought something else?

They are good knives Dexter Russell is made of decent steal and they are MADE IN THE USA! I have 4 or 5 dexter russells from paring knives to chefs knives. Easy to sharpen too.:thumb:

Easy to sharpen and well built. The perfect utilitarian knives.

One of the best things about Dexters is if someone screws one up, you don't have to freak out all over them. They keep life in a blissful state.

I have 7 or 8 vintage Dexter's that i got off e-bay. Great knives for me and easy to sharpen.Well worth the money as far as i'm concerned.

I have Dexter as well as S & F Chef's Review. They all keep a nice edge and like Cook said - if someone bends one, throws it away accidentally or runs over it with the trailer - no big deal. I have two or three of the most common knives still in their original packaging ready to go. Total investment - less than $100.

Short extra side note - I was chopping chicken for PC using a Chef's Review Santoku ($9) and my teammate wanted me to use his "most excellent fancy something or other". It was sharp but the handle was really small. I cut about three slices and went back to the S & F knife with the large, slip proof handle and chopped the rest.

I have a couple and I like the feel, however I do not find they hold an edge. I have to sharpen it about every other use and it's less than 1 yr old. Never used them to cut any bone, only meat.
They are inexpensive, which is a plus.

I use a couple Dexter sani-safe's (one scimitar) and I like them a lot. They're bullet proof and easy to clean. I also use Shun, Moritaka and Masanobu but I find myself reaching for the Dexter for tough work or general purpose use.

No wooden handles on these. DHEC is making all knives go away from wooden handles because the liguid of the meat can get down in the handles. These are polypropalene handles.

i have been butchering for 10years and have used nothing but Dexter/Dexter Russel it a real easy steel to get sharp and it stays sharp for a long time, plus i like how my hand fits snug in the handle aswell

I have a couple and I like the feel, however I do not find they hold an edge. I have to sharpen it about every other use and it's less than 1 yr old. Never used them to cut any bone, only meat.
They are inexpensive, which is a plus.

I find that with my knives if I put a quick hone to them after each use, they stay sharp a really long time. I wash them, dry them and for ease of use, I have a little Smith's hand held sharpener with two tiny "fine" crock sticks that hones very well after each use. It takes about 5 seconds and keeps the edge on the knife for a long time.

And for the original poster, if you do a check with most of the butchers in your area, you will find that they mostly use Dexter/Russel or the Victorinox/Forschner knifes.

Although I am generally a knife snob and mostly use carbon steel for home, I also have used D-R Sani-safes for years, starting when I was 16 and cooking is restaurants, I really like them. They are not fine knives, but, they will get the job done every day. They are the standard in just about any fishing port where fish are being processed, from chopping and gutting to filet work, you will see them more than any other knife, at least out here on the west coast.

Back